Live updates

Fury accuses Klitschko of faking injury

Credit: Press Association Images

Tyson Fury has accused Wladimir Klitschko of faking injury after the Ukrainian postponed their world heavyweight title bout claiming a calf problem.

Fury had been due to face Klitschko in Dusseldorf on October 24 but the bout will have to be re-scheduled following the announcement by Klitschko on Friday.

But Fury claimed he knew the 39-year-old was going to pull out, and questioned the legitimacy of the reason he gave.

"Whatever Klitschko's reasons are, I can tell you all now there's no injury," Fury said on Sky Sports News. "He either needs more time to prepare, more time to get his mind set straight, or more time to talk over what he's going to do.

"There's definitely no injury. Definitely, definitely not."

The postponement is the latest misfortune to befall Fury after two bouts against David Haye were postponed in 2013, and a domestic meeting with Dereck Chisora was also delayed last year.

Klitschko's announcement comes just two days after Fury dressed as Batman and wrestled a man dressed as The Joker during a press conference to promote the fight in London.

"Am I that intimidating? Am I that scary?" Fury added. "Batman worked a treat, and cost me a big fight again. Let's hope he wants to do the fight again. He can't go anywhere else. The only option is to retire like the other man, with no name (Haye). Am I going to be the man who retires people rather than fights (them). We will find out."

Fury said he feels for his supporters as they have to unpick their travel plans with yet another fight postponed.

"All my supporters and fans - they always lose out," he said.

"It's all right for us - we're in training camps, we get our expenses back, but what about all the people who have travelled and paid money for the tickets.

"Things are hard. People are doing this because they're showing support, because some of my fans can't afford to go really, but they pushed the boat out because it's a massive occasion, a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

"I'm wounded for all these people and this happens too much in boxing, and it's not the fighters that pay for it, it's the fans. We get our bits and pieces back - they don't."

Klitschko said he would aim to recover "as fast as possible" so that the contest can be re-arranged, with a new date expected as early as next week.

Klitschko said: "Especially after the exciting press conference last Wednesday, I was looking forward to this fight very much. I know that a lot of fans have already organised their trips to support me in Dusseldorf.

"I am so sorry that I am not able to fight on October 24. I also apologise to my opponent, who has spent many weeks preparing for this fight. I will do my very best to recover as fast as possible."

Klitschko sustained the injury during a training session on Wednesday and a subsequent MRI scan revealed a partial tear of the left calf.

Klitschko apologises to fans for pulling out of Fury fight

Credit: PA

Wladimir Klitschko has apologised to his fans for pulling out of a fight with Tyson Fury.

He said:

"Dear fans. I'm sorry to inform you that I have to postpone my fight with Tyson Fury due to a minor injury.

I am working hard on the rescheduling of the fight. As soon as I know the new date, I will let you know."

On Twitter, Tyson Fury posted a message saying: "It's safe to say I'm hitting the drink right now. Gutted."

Tyson Fury tweeted about the news saying he was 'gutted'.


Klitschko injury forces Fury fight to be postponed

Wladimir Klitschko (left) and Tyson Fury during a press conference at the Hilton Syon Park, London. Credit: PA

Tyson Fury said he feels for his supporters after his world heavyweight title challenge to Wladimir Klitschko was postponed due to the Ukrainian sustaining a calf injury in training.

Fury had been due to face Klitschko in Dusseldorf on October 24 but the bout will have to be re-scheduled following the announcement by Klitschko on Friday.

It is the latest misfortune to befall Fury after two bouts against David Haye were postponed in 2013, and a domestic meeting with Dereck Chisora was also delayed last year.

Klitschko's manager Bernd Boente told the German newspaper Bild:

"Next week we will make it known when the fight will be re-staged.

"We will definitely remain in Dusseldorf. The tickets which have already been sold will remain valid."

England football stars lace up their boxing gloves to inspire Moss Side youngsters

An exciting sporting crossover is helping to inspire the next generation of England's Lions and Lionesses.

Footballers from Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United have joined forces in the boxing ring at Moss Side Fire Station to help coach future England supporters.

The Football Association's Together for England Roadshow saw a star-studded panel - featuring Manchester City's Kean Bryan and Toni Duggan, Liverpool's Fara Williams and Manchester United's James Wilson - climb into the boxing ring for a training session with local youngsters before sharing their experiences and knowledge of what it takes to reach the top of a sporting profession.

Unbeaten Liverpool fighters to face off for British title

Callum Smith has already won 12 fights via knockout Credit: PA Images

Highly-rated Liverpudlians Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding will put their unbeaten records on the line when they meet for the vacant British Super-middleweight Title on November 7.

Smith (17-0 with 12 knockouts) and Fielding (21-0, with 12 knockouts) are two of the biggest prospects in the division and will battle it out at the Echo Arena for the title vacated by Smith's brother Paul.

While neither fighter is firmly established at world level, Smith is rated at number two by the WBC and Fielding at six with the IBF.

The pair's careers have often been intertwined and whoever comes out on top is sure to be catapulted to the elite level.

Promoter Eddie Hearn said:

Rocky Fielding also has 12 knockouts from 21 fights won Credit: PA Images

"This is one of the biggest domestic fights of the year and such a fascinating fight."

"Neither fighter would back down or out of this fight and now fight fans get an absolute cracker."

"It is 21-0 vs 17-0, both fighters are ranked highly across all world governing bodies (and) there is going to be some atmosphere at a packed Echo Arena on November 7."

– Eddie Hearn


Crolla gets rematch with Perez

Anthony Crolla in action against Darleys Perez. Credit: Press Association Images

Anthony Crolla has been granted a rematch with Darleys Perez for the WBA World Lightweight title following their controversial fight in Manchester on July 18.

Crolla produced a superb performance against the Colombian at the Manchester Arena and looked to have landed the belt after Perez had two points deducted for low blows in the latter rounds, only for the fight to be ruled a majority draw much to the dismay of the Manchester man and the packed home crowd.

‘Million Dollar’ now gets an immediate chance to land the crown and both Crolla and his promoter Eddie Hearn expressed their delight at the decision.

“When I heard the news I was honestly close to tears,” said Crolla. “Not getting that decision was hard to take but I was so grateful to even be part of such a great night and no one can ever take those memories away from me. Now I get another chance and I'm more determined than ever. The people of Manchester and the UK have been incredible and I can't wait to get back in there and face Perez again.”

“I cannot tell you how happy I am with this news,” said Hearn. “Anthony Crolla should be world champion. He hasn’t moaned, he hasn’t sulked and now he has his chance all over again. I would like to thank the WBA for making the right decision and the public for all their support of Anthony. I hope Manchester is ready for something special.

“We are already in negotiations with Perez’s team and we expect to announce the date of the rematch very soon.”

Fury and Klitschko finally come face-to-face

Manchester's Tyson Fury will challenge the undisputed king of the division Wladamir Klitschko when the pair fight in Germany in October.

The two giant men came face to face for the first time today and not surprisingly Fury had some choice words for the Ukrainian.

'Boring' and 'Old' is how he described him.

Chris Hall is in Dusseldorf where he's had a ring side seat for Tyson's trash talking.

'You have as much charisma as my underpants': Fury meets Klitschko

Tyson Fury has fired the starting gun on his bout with world heavyweight champion Waldimir Klitschko by telling the Ukranian: "you have as much charisma as my underpants".

The pair meet face-to-face today for the first time in Germany, where they will fight later this year.

Load more updates