Former footballer Gary Parkinson went to his first game yesterday since being diagnosed with locked-in syndrome.
Burnley's famous Queen Street Cotton Mill has been granted Grade I listed building status.
The coroner in the inquest of a mother found dead in a maternity unit says he has grave concerns about the quality of her care.
A thief who stole a war veteran's ashes before throwing them in a wheelie bin has written to his victim to say sorry.
James Greenwood broke into a home in Burnley and took a a number of valuables as well as a casket containing the ashes of World War Two veteran John Clarkson.
Widower Mr Clarkson, a retired labourer died two days after his 91st birthday in January. Once Greenwood realised what he'd taken he dumped the ashes. Sadly refuse collectors took the bin away and the remains are now in a landfill site and have not been located despite searches.
The 43 year old was arrested by police and jailed for 20 months on Monday but admitted the sentence was not long enough.
Greenwood wrote to the veteran's family saying he would let them give him ‘a good beating’ when he got out.
Police have arrested people on suspicion of burglary offences in a series of raids in Burnley and Bacup today.
Warrants were executed at addresses in Constable Avenue, Nairne Street and Hebrew Road, in Burnley; Prince Street in Bacup and Monmouth Street, Blackburn. The action comes as part of Operation Julius, the police countywide campaign to tackle burglary.
– Chief Inspector Derry Crorken
“This morning’s raids are part of our on-going commitment to tackle burglary offenders.
“We know that burglary has a huge impact on victims through not only having valuable and often sentimental items stolen from them, but also because someone has actually been on their property and often within their home.
“We will continue to pursue burglars and bring them to justice.”
There's controversy over claims that regeneration projects in Burnley in Lancashire are 'pointless'.
The Economist magazine lists it among a number of northern towns described as 'decaying'.
The article claims the government should help people commute or move away from places like Burnley to Manchester and Liverpool where there are jobs.
To find out more about Hope for Justice go to http://hopeforjustice.org.uk/
Five people are due to be sentenced later for trafficking a Slovakian woman to Burnley for a forced marriage.
The gang were found guilty of people trafficking for exploitation following an eight week.
They will be sentenced at Preston Crown Court later.
A father from Burnley who's son died abroad is calling on the Governement to offer more support to families whose loved ones die abroad.
Keith Haworth's son Liam died 10 years ago in Holland from a suspected drugs overdose.
A sex offender has been sentenced to seven and a half years after attacking a woman in Burnley.
Ricky Stuart, 31, of no fixed address, was found guilty of attempted rape, sexual assault, and theft at Burnley Crown Court following a week-long trial.
Stuart has also been put on the sex offenders’ register for life.
The court heard how at around 9pm on 1 November last year, Stuart befriended the 47- year-old victim, accompanying her to the Inn on the Wharf public house in Burnley where they had drinks with some of her friends.
The victim then retired to a barge which was moored on the canal at the rear of the pub but was afterwards followed by Stuart.
Stuart then went into the victim`s bedroom, placed his hand over her mouth, sexually assaulted her and tried to force her to perform a sexual act on him.
The victim hit out at Stuart, shouting at him to go. On leaving, he took her handbag, stealing her mobile phone and cash before heading to Blackpool the next day.
A large scale police manhunt began and Stuart was arrested in the resort a few days later.
Speaking after sentencing, DC Karen Haynes - said: “This has been a truly shocking case. At no point whatsoever has Stuart shown any remorse for his actions.
“He has forced the victim in this case to relive this horrific experience by having to attend court and give evidence and this result is testament to the immense courage she has shown in doing so.
“This was a calculated and premeditated attack on a vulnerable female, Stuart is an extremely dangerous man and I welcome today’s sentence.
“As we do with all reports of sexual offences, we had specially trained officers working closely with the victim in this case to provide appropriate support.
“I hope that the sentencing of this predator will reassure the public that although offences of this nature are rare, when they do happen they will not only be thoroughly and professionally investigated, but those responsible will face substantial custodial sentences.”