Live updates

91-year-old mugged in Whalley Range

A "cowardly and wicked" thief dragged a 91-year-old woman to the ground in Manchester and snatched her bag, police said.

The victim was left with bruising across her body following the incident in Whalley Range.

The woman was confronted by the thief in Russell Avenue and dragged to the floor, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.

Fearing for her safety, she let go of her bag which contained a small amount of cash and the offender ran off.

He is described as being dark skinned, about 5ft 5in and was dressed all in black.

The victim was taken to hospital for treatment to bruising across her body, police said.

I simply can't comprehend how anyone can be prepared to physically attack and rob a woman who is elderly and of slight build.

The victim should have every right to walk down the street without fear of being attacked, and now this cowardly and wicked thief has taken that away from her. She will undoubtedly be forever looking over her shoulder because of what has happened.

– Detective Inspector Rebecca Duggan

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Armed police drawn into Chester neighbour dispute

Oldfield Drive, Vicar’s Cross. Credit: Google Street View

Armed police were called a neighbour dispute in Chester after reports a man had a gun.

The incident happened in Oldfield Drive, Vicar's Cross, on Friday night.

Cheshire Police took a call shortly before 10pm from a member of the public who alleged he had been assaulted by his neighbour.

Early reports to police suggested a firearm had been seen and the force's Armed Response Unit was deployed along with a negotiator.

An air weapon was subsequently recovered nearby and a 50-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault.

He's since been bailed.

Advertisement

"Violent bully" jailed for punch murder of girlfriend

Ryan Ingham will serve at least 16 years. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

A serial domestic abuser who murdered his girlfriend with a single punch has been jailed for life and ordered to serve a minimum of 16 years.

Branded "cowardly and violent" by the judge, Ryan Ingham, 27, ran at mother-of-five Caroline Finigan, 29, "at full speed", punching her to the head and sending her crashing to the floor after they rowed about how to get home from a night out in Manchester.

Caroline Finigan was killed by boyfriend Ryan Ingham. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

The force of the punch broke Ms Finigan's nose, fractured her eye socket and caused a fatal brain haemorrhage.

She was rushed to hospital in a critical condition, but died hours later.

Ingham, who had 23 previous convictions, including six violent assaults on ex-partners, was found guilty of murder last week at Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester.

He had offered a guilty plea to manslaughter and claimed his girlfriend had drunkenly fallen over, but was convicted of murder by the jury after a week-long trial.

Jailing him for life and ordering he must serve 16 years before parole is considered, Judge Peter Lakin said: "In my judgment you are a deeply unpleasant, cowardly and violent young man with a complete inability to control your temper, particularly after the consumption of alcohol.

"You have on any view a very disturbing history for assaulting your partners.

"Clearly you have no respect whatsoever for the welfare of those who trust you in a relationship."

Duncan Thorpe from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: "Ms Finigan's family have been left deeply upset and cannot believe someone who claimed to love her could kill her.

"Ingham himself will have to live with the fact his reckless and thoughtless action took the life of an innocent woman."

Woman suffers heart attack after confronting burglars at home

Tandlewood Park, Royton. Credit: Google Street View

A 62-year-old woman is recovering from a heart attack after she confronted four men who had broken into her house in Oldham.

Police are now hunting the men, who left the woman fighting for her life after they broke into the address on Tandlewood Park, Royton at around 4.30pm on Thursday 3 July 2014.

Having forced their way inside the men proceeded to ransack her house, forcing open locked doors until they came across the woman in her bedroom.

The men fled, but not before they had terrified the woman so much that she suffered a heart attack.

She remains in a stable condition at Wythenshawe Hospital.

The four offenders are all described as young, white men.

Officer James Mitchell said: “This is a case in which the victim could quite literally have been frightened to death by these intruders.

“Had it not been for the rapid response of our officers and their quick thinking following the victim’s cardiac arrest, the outcome could have been tragic.

“These men showed absolutely no regard for the victim’s property or her wellbeing, they just ran like cowards when she bravely confronted them in her bedroom.

“We hope that someone might have seen these men flee the house or the nearby area and if you believe you have a description of the offenders please contact Police as soon as possible.”

Anyone with information should phone police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Seven arrested during police raids in Stockport

Today's raids by Greater Manchester Police. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Seven people have been arrested following a series of dawn raids in Stockport targeting a suspected gang of violent criminals.

Police struck at addresses in the Brinnington area following a string of violent "home invasions and assaults", during which homeowners were either threatened or attacked.

Police were targeting a suspected gang of violent criminals. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Seven men were arrested on suspicion of assault and aggravated burglary.

They remain in police custody for questioning.

Detective Sergeant Matt Tarr said: "We believe the gang responsible for these violent attacks and home invasions are involved in an extensive criminal web that involves drugs, weapons and burglaries.

"That is why we have taken this action today and arrested seven people on suspicion of robbery.

Seven men were arrested on suspicion of assault and aggravated burglary. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

"We know that residents want us to take a tough stand against those involved in the supply of drugs and other criminality that destroys the fabric of the communities we serve.

"I hope today sends a message to the community, including the criminal fraternity, that we will not allow people to be terrorised in their own homes and we will be coming for anyone who is involved."

Anyone who has information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The raids took place in the Brinnington area. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Prisoners escape from Kirkham prison in Lancashire

Gareth Robinson, 23, was convicted of burglary. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Two men are wanted by police after absconding from prison in Lancashire.

Philip Stephenson, 33, and Gareth Robinson, 23, escaped together from HMP Kirkham in Blackpool yesterday and it is believed they may both be somewhere in the Greater Manchester or Oldham areas.

Philip Stephenson, 33, was jailed for firearms offences. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

It is also thought they got into a silver Volkswagen Golf as they escaped from the prison and headed towards Oldham.

Both are originally of the Oldham area. Stephenson was serving a sentence for firearms offences and Robinson for burglary.

Detective Chief Inspector John Mazzolai said: "Neither of these men has been seen since they escaped from prison on Saturday.

"They are not to be approached by members of the public, but if anyone sees them or knows of their whereabouts, please contact us.

"I would also like to remind people that if anyone is found to be assisting or harbouring these wanted men, they too will face being arrested and a possible prison sentence of their own. So please get in touch if you know where they are."

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Man hurt after being struck by car at fast food restaurant in Bolton

Derby Street in Bolton. Credit: Google Street View.

A man is in hospital after a he was struck by a car driving at speed in the car park of a fast-food restaurant in Bolton.

The 32-year-old man suffered severe fractures to his legs, body and face following the incident, which took place at about 11.40pm on Friday in the car park of McDonald's in Derby Street.

It is believed the victim, who was with a group of his friends, became embroiled in a verbal confrontation with another group who were also at the restaurant.

Eventually, the second group split up in two separate cars, one of which drove off while the other drove at speed and struck the victim, causing him to suffer his injuries.

Neither car stopped at the scene following the incident.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 5595 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Up to 30 cars damaged in Prestwich vandal spree

Greater Manchester Police described the vandalism as "mindless". Credit: JWT/ITV News

Vandals went on the rampage in Prestwich and damaged up to 30 cars.

Police in Bury are investigating after two men were seen to be vandalising dozens of cars - knocking off wing mirrors and jumping on car bonnets.

It is thought given the number of cars that have been targeted that the total repair bill for all the victims will run into thousands of pounds.

Officers were first alerted at about 6.30am yesterday when the vandals were seen to be jumping on a car on Lowther Road.

Since then, police have received up to 30 further reports of criminal damages to cars on Scott Road, Prestwich Park Road, Masefield Avenue, Shelley Road and St Anns Road.

One man has been arrested in connection with the incident. Credit: JWT/ITV News

However, police suspect many other cars may have also been vandalised and the owners have either not realised or yet reported them to police.

A Peugeot 206, BMW, Mercedes, Vauxhall Corsa, Renault Clio and a Kia Sportage were among the cars targeted.

One man has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon and remains in police custody for questioning.

Police are now appealing to anyone with information to come forward and also urging anyone who has not yet reported any criminal damage to their cars to do so.

Detective Sergeant Benjamin Cottam said: "What we are dealing with is mindless, wanton vandalism on a very large scale. This was not one or two cars that were scratched but at least 30 cars, probably more, that sustained considerable damage at the hands of these vandals.

Lowther Road, Prestwich. Credit: JWT/ITV News

"We have dedicated significant resources to catching those responsible. These individuals have caused a lot of upheaval and upset in this community and we will do everything we can to identify those involved.

"It is not just the financial hassle of paying for repairs that has upset the victims but the time it will take to rearrange work and home commitments to arrange for those repairs and sort out the mess caused by two wanton vandals."

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Man charged over Oldham double shooting

A man has been charged as part of an investigation into a double shooting in Oldham.

Andrew Marcus Burke, 53, of Holland Road, Crumpsall, is charged with possession of a firearm and is due before Salford and Manchester City Magistrates' Court today.

The alleged incident happened on June 29 when two men, who were sitting in a Seat Leon on Radcliffe Road, were approached by a gunman.

He spoke to the occupants briefly before shooting them both.

One man, 19, was taken to hospital for injuries to his abdomen and the other, 20, for treatment to injuries to his buttocks.

A handgun and live ammunition were later recovered by police.

Load more updates