A man has been charged as part of an investigation into a double shooting in Oldham.
Andrew Marcus Burke, 53, of Holland Road, Crumpsall, is charged with possession of a firearm and is due before Salford and Manchester City Magistrates' Court today.
The alleged incident happened on June 29 when two men, who were sitting in a Seat Leon on Radcliffe Road, were approached by a gunman.
He spoke to the occupants briefly before shooting them both.
One man, 19, was taken to hospital for injuries to his abdomen and the other, 20, for treatment to injuries to his buttocks.
A handgun and live ammunition were later recovered by police.
A senior police officer says he believes it's dangerous because of violence and other problems linked to drinking.
Inspector Ian Hanson, a leader of the police federation in Greater Manchester, blames cuts and says public safety can't be guaranteed.
But the council and the force itself say his comments are wrong and they're working together to deal with the challenges.
Here's our correspondent Matt O'Donoghue with the story:
A man has been sentenced for viciously attacking another man as he left a Christmas party in Manchester city centre.
Alan Croydon, 25, of Norland Walk, Manchester, was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to 12 months in prison.He pleaded guilty to ABH at an earlier hearing.
Aaron Buckley, also 25, of Coronation Street, Openshaw, failed to attend court for sentence on Friday 06 June 2014 and is currently wanted.
He pleaded guilty to ABH at an earlier hearing.
On the evening of December 6 last year at about 12.30am the victim, a 32-year-old Doctor of Science was making his way home after a Christmas party, walking down Dale Street.
He was approached by three men who started to talk to the victim and then two of them suddenly attacked him; punching and kicking the victim to the floor, before stamping on him.
Detective Constable Paul Wilde from North Manchester division, said: "These two men viciously attacked an innocent man as he walked home after a Christmas party.
"The CCTV clearly shows the ferocity of this attack and the man was very lucky to have walked away with minor injuries. Croydon and Buckley subjected the man to an unprovoked and violent attack and such disgraceful acts will not be tolerated.
"One man failed to attend court and he needs to be brought to justice, but one man is now behind bars and I hope the sentence means the victim can move on with his life."
Merseyside Police has released CCTV images of man officers would like to speak to in connection with a racially aggravated incident on a bus in Walton.
A woman passenger was subjected to comments about her ethnicity by a male passenger who was travelling with a child.
The incident happened on the Number 21 bus from Kirkby to Liverpool, as the vehicle reached County Road in Walton at 1.20pm on May 25.
The offender then assaulted a man who challenged him about his comments.
The assault victim sustained facial injuries during the assault and has been left upset following the incident.
Detective Constable Bob Hart, said: "Incidents of this kind, whereby victims are subjected to racial abuse, be it physically or verbally, will not be tolerated.
"We are investigating a number of lines of enquiry and are keen to speak to anyone with any information that could help our enquiries.
"I would like to reassure people that incidents of this type are rare."
Officers from Sigma, the Merseyside Police's dedicated hate crime investigation unit, are appealing to the man pictured, anyone who recognises him or anyone with information to get in touch.
Anyone with any information is asked to call 0151 777 4843 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Police have released an image of a Gorton man with a history of domestic violence who is wanted on recall to prison.
Peter Edge, 23, is wanted after failing to return to his approved premises while on licence.
Edge had been released from prison in week after being sentenced to four years for a domestic related wounding.
Greater Manchester Police said the wounding involved him stabbing a victim and breaking the arm of a further victim.
Edge has links to the Gorton area of Manchester as well as Newton Heath.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 3508 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A senior police officer has said he wouldn’t go out in Manchester after midnight as it’s "too dangerous".
Inspector Ian Hanson is chairman of the Greater Manchester branch of the Police Federation, which represents rank-and-file police officers.
He accused civic leaders of ‘burying their heads in the sand’ over funding for front line officers.
He also says they have failed to respond to concerns from senior police officers that they are reaching a ‘tipping point’.
It's been claimed the number of police officers covering the city centre has been slashed n recent years, a period when more and more people have moved into Manchester and more bars are opening to quench their thirst.
Inspector Hanson said: “The situation in Manchester city centre is at crisis point.
"The number of people coming into Manchester are increasing every week and the demands upon the ridiculously few police officers fighting a losing battle to keep our city safe are spiralling out of control.
“I personally would not now go into Manchester city centre after midnight because it is now too dangerous a place and I do not believe that we can guarantee individuals' safety the way things are at the moment.
"Our politicians now need to listen to and get behind police leaders to do what they are elected to do – and that’s keep the people of Manchester safe."
In a statement, the Parole Board said O’Hara was serving a life sentence when the Board reviewed his case in February 2012 and made a decision to direct his release.
The organisation has pledged a review will examine the decision to release O'Hara from jail.
The Parole Board deeply regrets the circumstances which led to the murder of Cherylee Shennan by Paul O’Hara.
"In cases such as this one, the Board is committed to doing everything it can to learn the lessons that will help to prevent further tragedies.
"To this end, the Parole Board has a Review Committee which includes two senior independent figures to identify any lessons that need to be learned for the future."
The Board said it makes its decisions by "assessing the risk the prisoner presents to the public".
It may only direct the release of a life sentence prisoner "if it is satisfied that it is no longer necessary for them to be detained in order to protect the public from harm".
The Parole Board takes its responsibility to protect the public extremely seriously.
"Parole Board members are appointed through a rigorous assessment process and provided with intensive training to undertake the role.
"When deciding whether or not to release a prisoner, the protection of the public is always their primary concern."
Police are hunting four men who tied up a 77-year-old man in his own home in Stockport and assaulted him with a crowbar.
The offenders threatened to kill the victim unless he gave them money and jewellery, before leaving him tied up for almost an hour as they ransacked the house looking for valuables.
They ran off with just £40.
The incident happened at around 10.30pm yesterday.
Four men broke into the victim’s house on Bramhall Lane South, Stockport, and bound his hands and feet with duct tape.
They placed a pillow over the victim’s face and subjected him to a brutal assault, punching him in the face until he lost teeth and suffered eye injuries, before beating him on the body with a crowbar.
Detective Constable Joseph Trippett said: “This was an utterly terrifying ordeal for the victim, who was left tied up and wounded on his bed as the four men trashed his house looking for valuables.
“They subjected him to a vicious assault that left him requiring hospital treatment and means he is scared to be alone in his own home.
“The injuries were so appalling that the victim’s son required medical attention for shock.
“The fact these men were willing to subject this vulnerable old man to such horrific treatment for the sake of just £40 demonstrates how important it is that we bring them to justice.
“If you saw anything that may assist our enquiries, particularly if it is a physical description of the offenders, or have any information as to the identity of the men involved please contact Police.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.