In a statement released by Lancashire Police, the family of Cherylee Shennan said:
"Our family has been torn apart and tormented by this tragedy and our lives will never be the same again.
"Cherylee will always be loved and we will hold cherished memories forever in our hearts.
"She will never be forgotten by her family, friends and all that knew her."
The family said Cherylee was a "precious and much-loved" mum, daughter to Betty and Tommy and special step-daughter to Karen and Johnny, sister to Chiyvonne, Ellen, Jordan, Declan and Toni and special aunty to Keilan.
She was a life-long partner to Graham and adoring owner of her five beloved Akita dogs Chan, Diva, Billy, Trooper and Mia.
She was easy to get along with and used to be laughing all the time, everything was a joke even when she used her family as guinea pigs for her potions at her beauty salon, she was very clever and owned her own businesses, a beauty salon and furniture shop.
"She loved to experiment with cooking and was famous for her cheesecake and bonfire night food which was fabulous.
"Everyone would go to Chez when they had a problem or anything and wanted guidance and she was always there, now this has been taken away from us all."
A man has been sentenced to a whole life prison term after pleading guilty to murdering his former partner in a knife attack outside her home.
Convicted murderer Paul O’Hara, 43, admitted the murder of businesswoman Cherylee Shennan just months after he was freed from jail.
Ms Shannan was knifed 40 times outside her home at Hardman Avenue, Rawtenstall
O’Hara, of Honiton Close, Heywood, was jailed for murder in 1998 and released in 2013.
He admitted the murder of Ms Shannan when he appeared at Preston Crown Court earlier today.
He also admitted charges of section 18 wounding and assault with intent to resist arrest relating to attacks on police officers who had been called to the address.
O’Hara was today given a full life term for the murder of Ms Shennan, who owned a furniture store and a beauty salon.
He was also jailed for ten years for the attack on Det Sgt Damien McAllister and two years for the assault on DC Karen Kenworthy. These will run concurrent to the whole life term.
Ms Shennan, 40, of Hardman Lane, was attacked and killed in the street outside her home on the afternoon of Monday, March 17.
She died at the scene.
A post mortem examination showed she died of multiple stab wounds.
O’Hara was arrested nearby a short time later.
Detective Supt Eddie Thistlethwaite, of Lancashire Constabulary’s Force Major Investigation Team, led the inquiry.
He said: “This was a truly horrendous incident which cost a young woman her life.
“O’Hara is a predatory and violent individual who manipulated his victims including Cherylee, praying on their craving for love and attention.
"He has shown no or little remorse throughout this process and his actions fully justify the sentence which has been imposed.
“I would like to thank the Crown Prosecution Service and Counsel for all their hard work which has resulted in today’s guilty pleas.
"O’Hara’s admission has at least spared the families the ordeal of having to re-live these tragic events through a trial.
“I would also like to praise the bravery of all police officers, PCSOs, and paramedics who attended what was a horrific scene.
"Special thanks must go to Detective Sergeant Damien McAlister and Detective Constable Karen Kenworthy who fought with O’Hara in the vain attempt to save the life of Cherylee.
“Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family and friends of Cherylee. They have shown enormous dignity and bravery throughout this ordeal.”
Sentencing, the recorder of Preston, Judge Russell QC, commended the bravery of Det Sgt McAllister and DC Kenworthy.
Police have released CCTV pictures after two men attempted to rob a bookmaker in Moston, Manchester.
The incident happened at around 8.15pm on Friday, June 13, when two men got out of a dark blue Ford Focus which was parked outside Coral bookmakers on Moston Lane.
They went inside and one of the men, who was armed with a meat cleaver, went to the cashier’s desk and demanded money.
He attempted to smash the security glass while the other man stayed by the door.
Both men left empty handed when the alarm was set off.
They got into the same car parked outside and drove away.
Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident.
The offenders are described as black and both were wearing balaclavas and dark clothing with the hood up. One is described as around 6ft tall and slim while the other is around 5ft 6in tall and stocky.
Detective Constable Nick Kershaw said: “The dark blue Ford Focus had tinted back windows and was parked outside the bookmakers for several minutes before the two offenders went inside.
"We would ask if anyone saw this car or the two men before or after the robbery to contact police.”
Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 3925 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A man has died one week after being assaulted in Salford.
James Holland, 57, died in hospital following the incident at a block of flats on Mulberry Court, Pendleton.
Police were called to the address last Monday following reports a man had been found with a head injury man was detained by officers at the scene, however was de-arrested after the injured man did not make a complaint of assault.
Following a review of the circumstances Scott Richardson, 29, of Mulberry Court, Salford, was charged on Saturday with causing grievous bodily harm with intent (Section 18 Assault).
He is due to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court later today.
Detectives investigating the rape of a woman in Manchester have released CCTV images of a man they want the public's help to identify.
The attack happened at 3am on Saturday, June 28.
Police were alerted after the "distressed" victim reported being raped to the concierge at the Great Northern Tower.
Officers attended and established the woman, 23, had been attacked nearby as she made her way home following a night out.
It's believed she had been followed along a number of streets before being attacked.
The man police wish to trace is described as tanned, about 22 years old, of normal build and 5ft 6in tall.
He has short dark hair and was said to be of be possibly Turkish or Algerian. He wore a white t-shirt and dark trousers.
A man arrested in connection with the rape and other offences a short time after the incident and following a crash on Mancunian Way has been bailed.
Detective Inspector Mike Gladwin, said: “The woman was walking home following a night out when she was followed, dragged off the street and raped.
"She has suffered an incomprehensibly distressing experience and we are doing everything we can to support her, but the best thing we can do for her is find the person responsible and for that I am appealing for the public's help.
"If you think you recognise someone from the image we have released it is vitally important you come forward and talk to us.
"I am confident that with the wealth of CCTV available to us we will identify this person and so to him I say come forward now before we come through your door."
Anyone with information is asked to call the Serious Sexual Offences Unit on 0161 856 1911 or 0161 856 2278, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A junior doctor working in paediatrics been charged with two counts of engaging in sexually activity with a child and possessing indecent images of children.
Raza Laskar, 31, of Ashton-under-Lyne, was remanded in custody and will appear at Manchester Minshull Street Crow Court tomorrow.
The sexual activity charges relate to a 15-year-old boy.
Greater Manchester Police said that on Friday 2 May 2014, as part of an ongoing operation, a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children following the execution of a warrant at a house in Ashton-under-Lyne that day.
He was further arrested on 22 May 2014 on suspicion of sexual activity with a child following a review of computers and other items recovered during the warrant.
Chief Superintendent Caroline Ball, said: "As part of a fairly large and ongoing investigation into the access of indecent images of children over the internet a paediatric doctor has been charged with engaging in sexual activity with a child and possessing indecent images of children.
"We know this man has worked in hospitals right across Greater Manchester and the public will undoubtedly be concerned upon hearing about the offences with which he has been charged.
"It is important to stress that at this moment in time our investigation is focusing on locating anyone who may have come into contact with this man over the internet as opposed to through his day-to-day employment.
"We are currently working through numerous computers and other electronic items as part of our investigation, which is very much in its infancy, and would encourage anyone with information or concerns to contact the police or our partners in the NHS."
A spokesperson for NHS England (Greater Manchester) said: “As this is a live Police investigation, we cannot comment at this time.
"We are working with the Police to assist them with their enquiries.”
A man has been charged by detectives investigating historic sexual abuse at music schools in Manchester.
Nicholas Smith, 59, of Malestroit, France, has been charged with one offence of indecent assault.
He will appear at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Friday 13 June 2014.
Greater Manchester Police said the charge relates to the indecent assault of a teenage girl between 4 May 1976 and 3 June 1978.
The girl was a pupil at Chetham's School of Music at the time the alleged offences took place.
"The victim is still recovering in hospital, having sustained grave injuries to his head, however it is no exaggeration to say that such a blow could have been fatal.
“As we have seen all too often all it takes is one punch to take a person’s life and we are working hard to identify the person responsible.
“If you were at the rave, saw what happened or have any information about the person responsible please come forward."
A man remains in a serious condition in hospital after being assaulted outside an illegal rave in Manchester.
The victim, a 29-year-old man from Leeds, was in the city on a night out, when he and his friends attended and illegal rave on Derby Street, Cheetham Hill.
Following an altercation on the street outside at about 3am on 18 May 2014, he was punched in face.
The force of the blow caused him to fall and bang his head.
He was taken to hospital for treatment to a bleed on the brain and a fractured skull and remains in a serious but stable condition.
The offender is described as white, 6ft 3in tall, of large build but not muscular, in his late 20s or early 30s with short dark hair that appeared longer on top and shaved at the side. He had a unshaven face and was wearing a distinctive red T-Shirt.
Anyone with information is asked to call Greater Manchester Police on 0161 856 6808 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Detectives say they have conducted numerous enquiries, including conducting covert policing, CCTV, phone and financial enquiries.
They have also released an e-fit of the suspect.
This is an absolutely tragic case in which the victim has been repeatedly targeted over a prolonged period of time and has ultimately lost everything.
“He has been caught in a vicious circle, not wanting to stop payment over concerns he would not see any of his money again and only paying in the vain hope the situation would change and he would be reimbursed.
“The actions of the offender are wicked and shameful.
"To knowingly take so much money from a vulnerable pensioner is despicable and I don’t know how the person responsible can live with themselves.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 7225 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.