Live updates

Two rescued from house fires after leaving food cooking

Credit: PA

Firefighters are warning about the dangers of cooking while under the influence of alcohol, after they rescued two men from separate fires in Manchester overnight.

The 22-year-old and 41-year-old men slept through their fire alarms sounding after leaving food cooking unattended.

Both were rescued after neighbours noticed smoke coming from their homes and called the fire service.

The first incident was in Haydn Avenue near Whitworth Park..

“We had to force our way into the building where the alarms were sounding and it was very smoke logged.

“We searched the property and found a 22-year-old asleep.

“He had been drinking and started cooking oven chips before falling asleep.

“It was really fortunate he had smoke alarms, as they alerted his neighbour.

– Watch Manager Jagjit Dhaliwal

The second fire was in Marriott Street in Withington. A 41-year old man had left food cooking in the oven after drinking.

“The neighbour heard a smoke alarm and saw smoke coming from an open window but they couldn’t get any answer from the occupant.

“We forced our way in and the house was full of smoke. We found the resident asleep in bed and led him to safety. He was very lucky not to have been more seriously hurt."

– Watch manager Dave Simpson

Advertisement

Oldham sofa warehouse fire - man arrested on suspicion of arson

Credit: Oldham Sofa Company

A man has been arrested after a large fire at a warehouse in Oldham.

The fire brigade dealt with a large fire at around 12.35am at the Holden Fold Mill warehouse which belongs to the Oldham Sofa Company.

A number of local residents were evacuated from their homes as a result of the blaze.

A 50-year-old man was later arrested by police on suspicion of arson and remains in police custody for questioning.

Credit: Oldham Sofa Company

"We are treating the fire as deliberate and a 50-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and remains in custody for questioning."

"I do not want people to be unduly alarmed and while I obviously cannot go into specifics, we believe this is the result of an ongoing dispute and is not a random act so I do not want the community to be fearful."

"Firefighters did an excellent job as they always do in bringing the fire under control and there was no damage to people's homes nor were there any injuries."

– Detective Sergeant Simon Haliwell

Anyone with information should contact police on 0161 856 9080 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Sofa warehouse hit with second suspected arson attack in a matter of months

Credit: Oldham Sofa Company

A sofa business is counting the cost of a second suspected arson attack in a matter of months.

The warehouse at Holden Fold Mill in Royton, which belongs to the Oldham Sofa Company, was hit by the fire overnight after another fire broke out at the premises in early May.

Fire crews attended the scene and were able to get the fire under control. A man has been arrested on suspicion of arson.

Credit: Oldham Sofa Company

Demolition starts on Wigan fire flats

Demolition work has begun on the flat block on Wigan that was destroyed by fire over the weekend.

Residents collected some of the few remaining belongings this morning before the roof of the structure is taken down.

Advertisement

Wigan fire flat residents prepare for demolition of their homes

Residents from a block of flats in Wigan are preparing for the demolition of their homes after they were ripped apart by fire over the weekend.

Greater Manchester Fire Service are demolishing the flats over fears that they may not be structurally safe.

Wigan fire flats to be demolished

A set of flats in Wigan is to be demolished after a fire destroyed the structure over the weekend.

The Wharfside flats in Wigan were evacuated in the early hours of Sunday, as emergency crews doused the flames.

Firefighters fear that the structure could be at risk of collapsing and have decided the best course of action is to demolish the flats.

The video from the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service shows the extent of the damage.

Wigan Council have set up an emergency helpline number for residents affected by the wharf-side fire. The number is 01942489014.

Video: former nightclub demolished after fire

Credit: Granada reports

Demolition work has started on the former Mr Smith's nightclub in Warrington after it was seriously damaged in a suspected arson last night.

Officers have now arrested eight people in connection with a fire including a 43-year-old man and seven teenagers.

More than 50 Firefighters spent the night battling the blaze and emergency services are still working now.

Load more updates