Live updates

Young football referee says meeting with FA was major step forward

Credit: ITV News

A teenage football referee says his campaign to make football safer for match officials has taken a major step forward, after he met with the Football Association in Manchester.

18-year-old Ryan Hampson says he's been head-butted, punched and spat at, while he's officiated in more than 300 games.

He has called on the FA to allow referees to wear body cameras.

And at today's meeting Ryan said the FA committed themselves to helping make it happen:

Teenage football referee abused by angry parents

A teenage referee has described the terrifying moment parents abused her during an under 10s tournament in Blackpool.

15 year old Emma Hickson was left in tears when both sets of parents invaded the pitch after a late tackle went unpunished.

The Football Association is now investigating after trouble flared during the game between Platt Lane City, based at Manchester City's youth complex in Moss Side and Liverpool's Litherland Tigers.

Mel Barham reports.


Sir Alex Ferguson escapes punishment over referee spat

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will not face punishment for confronting referee Mike Dean at Old Trafford yesterday, the Football Association has confirmed.

The Scot was furious after Dean overruled assistant Jake Collin and awarded Newcastle's second goal in the Red Devils' 4-3 win.

The FA today confirmed no action would be taken against the Manchester United boss as Dean made no reference to Ferguson confronting him in his report.

Ferguson approached Dean as he made his way out for the second half, before rounding on the fourth official Neil Swarbrick and Collin.


Millwall call in police to investigate Marvin Sordell's racism allegations

"The two clubs remain determined to do everything in their power to ensure that racist behaviour will not be tolerated.

"We will be speaking to the police and the match officials on this matter but no further comment will be made until this process has been completed and the investigations have been concluded."

– Millwall Football Club
Load more updates