A funeral service will be held today for three children and their mum who were killed in a tragic house fire in BoltonRead the full story ›
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service believe a house fire, which claimed four lives on Saturday, started on the ground floor.
Heartbroken teachers say a young boy who died with his mum and siblings in a house blaze had enjoyed a wonderful outing the day before the tragedy.
Hammaad Umerji, 12, who had autism, died on Saturday alongside his mum Aneesa, brother Yusuf, 10,and five-year-old sister Khadija in a fire at their home on Rosamund Street, Bolton.
Staff and pupils at Birtenshaw School, where Hammaad had been a pupil, have been left devastated by the loss of the ‘popular and energetic’ youngster.
Children at the special educational needs school, including Hammaad, had been taken to Chester Zoo the previous day.
“Hammaad had his challenges but nothing ever phased him. He was popular and full of energy, everyone who knew him loved him.
“We are devastated, it is such a shock. Staff members have been able to share some stories of him with his family and the whole school community is thinking of them and sending their sincere condolences.
“Hammaad was a character and loved life. On Friday, his last day at school, we went to Chester Zoo, he loved going there.”
Hammaad’s dad Zubair escaped the fire and was taken to hospital but he was unable to save the rest of his family.
Mrs Umerji, 40, passed away at the scene as did one of her children with the other two pronounced dead at hospital.
On Sunday, prayers were said for the family at the Masjid Al-Jamia Dar ul Qur'an Mosque, which they had attended.
Firefighters and community safety teams in Bolton have visited over 200 homes to "offer reassurance and advice".
It follows the horrific fire which left a mother and her three children dead at their home on Rosamond Street on Saturday.
As part of the "Safe and Well" visits, officers have placed fire alarms in people's houses and offered advice on what actions to take in the event of a fire.
Officers from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and Greater Manchester Police, now believe that the tragic fire on Saturday was caused accidentally by a halogen heater in the living room at the front of the house.
“When anyone loses their life in a fire, it is devastating – but even more so when it involves young lives.
“Our deepest condolences go to the family, friends and the local community following this tragic incident. We are especially thinking of the father of the children who has lost his family in such terrible circumstances.
“This was a tragic accident and over the coming days and weeks we will be working hard to spread our safety messages and offer reassurance and advice to residents to try and make sure that this never happens again.”
For further information about how to stay safe in your home, visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/fire_safety_advice/
The family of a mother and three children killed in a house fire have said they are in "total shock".Read the full story ›
Police in Manchester are on the lookout for drivers using a mobile.
A week long campaign to remind you how dangerous it is starts today.
Motorists caught using a mobile while driving receive six points on their licence and a £200 fine, double the previous fines before the change in the law.
The new legislation also means that new drivers caught using a mobile while driving, could have their licence revoked for a first offence under the New Driver Act.
"Unfortunately a small number of drivers continue to put lives at risk by using a mobile phone while driving. Their blatant disregard for the safety of fellow road users and pedestrians needs to be addressed"
Police say there will be an increase in traffic operations throughout the week.
- Anyone with information on persistent offenders who drive while using their mobile phone should contact local officers, call 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The family of a mother and three children killed in a house fire have said they are in "total shock".
Anisha Umerji, 40, her two sons Hammad, 12, and Yusuf, 10, and five-year-old daughter Khadija died after a blaze took hold of their home in Rosamond Street, Bolton, at around 9am on Saturday.
In a statement released through the Bolton Council of Mosques, the family said the fire was accidental and was caused by a halogen heater.
They added: "We are aware that all the emergency services did everything they could to rescue the family members and we appreciate their efforts."
The statement said: "The families are in total shock at the events of yesterday morning where an accidental fire caused by a halogen heater led to the sad fatalities of Aneesa, Hammad, Yusuf and Khadija.
"We are also humbled and overwhelmed with the support received from the wider community of Bolton and surrounding towns.
"We are very grateful to BCOM for their continued support in our difficult time.
"The families are still trying to come to terms with what has happened and are focused on offering support to each other.
"We respectfully request that you all pray for the departed and allow the families to come to terms with their tragic loss.
"The families would be very grateful if the media can respect our privacy and allow us to grieve.
"Thank you once again for everyone's kind words and support, they have provided much-needed strength in these very testing times."
The father, named locally as Zubair Umerji, remains in hospital after jumping from a first floor window and then attempting to smash his way back into the house.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service assistant county officer Tony Hunter said crews found the "distraught" man trying to get into the small terraced house, screaming that his wife and children were inside.
Crews battled through the "intense" fire and "no visibility" to pull the victims from the home and were "emotional" to learn they had died, Mr Hunter said.
Greater Manchester Police said: "A joint investigation with Manchester Fire and Rescue was launched to establish the cause of the fire and officers can now confirm there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances."
Police said the bodies had been formally identified and details passed to the coroner.
A mother and her three young children who died when a fierce fire swept through their home have been named.
The youngest victim of the tragedy in Bolton is a five-year-old girl, elders at a mosque revealed.
Anisha Umerji, 40, her two sons Hammad, 12, and Yusuf, 10, and her five-year-old daughter Khadija, all died in the blaze on Rosamond Street in the Daubhill area of the town.
Their father Zubair, Anisha’s husband, jumped from a first floor window as flames engulfed the terraced house.
He tried to break down the front door and smash windows with his fists in an attempt to save his trapped family, but couldn’t get inside to reach them.
He remained in hospital today with family members at his bedside.
Bolton Council of Mosques named the family but said funeral details haven’t yet been announced.
Management are working closely with the family in relation to the funeral arrangements and will send official messages.”
It’s understood that the family attend the Jamia Darul Quran Masjid mosque on Bridgeman Street in the Deane area of Bolton.
Bouquets of flowers have been left at the scene of the tragedy.
The blaze, which broke out at around 9am on Saturday, isn’t being treated by police as suspicious and an investigation to determine a cause is continuing, but it's understood the fire may have started in a front room.
Police described the circumstances as ‘utterly heartbreaking’ today and confirmed an investigation was continuing.
Three children and a woman have died in a fire at a family home in Bolton.
Neighbours have described witnessing desperate attempts to save them.
Andrew Fletcher reports:-
Neighbour Bilal Ali woke up with the noise from the fire and saw smoke billowing out of the terraced house.
He told Granada Reports how he saw the father screaming and crying outside his home but was held back by the flames.