A man has died after he was hit by a car along with two children and a woman in Manchester.
The crash happened at the junction of Hollyhedge Road and Woodhouse Lane in Wythenshawe on Tuesday.
The 47-year-old man died last night, police said.
His nine-year-old daughter sustained some minor cuts and bruises. The woman, 27, was treated for a broken wrist and her two-year-old son was uninjured.
Police said enquiries are ongoing into the cause of the collision. No arrests have been made.
"My thoughts are with the man and his family. I can’t begin to imagine what they are going through. Our specialist officers are helping them through this incredibly difficult time.
"Our investigation is still ongoing and we are still appealing for witnesses. We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have dash-cam footage showing the collision."
- Anybody with information should contact the GMP Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4741.
Police appeal for witnesses after Manchester collisionRead the full story ›
The body parts were stripped from 180 Greater Manchester victims of crime without relatives being informed and stored in secret for at least a decade.
The remains were only uncovered during an audit of the organs still kept for Greater Manchester Police following the Alder Hey scandal.
GMP is now contacting relatives to ask how they wish to dispose of the remains which pre-date September 2006, when legislation came into force banning the removal or storage of human tissue without families’ consent.
One mother from Wigan has told of her fury that she will have to lay her murdered son to rest for a second time after learning his stomach had been kept at a lab for more than 20 years.
Jenny Shaw, 72, from Wigan, whose son John Culshaw was stabbed to death in 1993, said: “It’s absolutely disgusting that we didn’t know."
John Culshaw, 26, was stabbed to death in Stanley Place in Wigan in1993 but his family was unaware some of his remains were retained following two post mortem examinations conducted as part of the GMP enquiry.
They buried him believing his body was intact.
But they were contacted by GMP four months ago and told some of his remains had been kept - along with body parts belonging to other victims of crime - at a forensic services lab in Birmingham which was due to close.
I thought I had buried the son that I gave birth to. In fact I buried a shell. Why? He was stabbed through the heart. Why would they need to retain other parts? We don’t know we’ve got everything back. That’s what we are panicking about. Are they going to come back and say they have found some more?
The officer who visited us apologised to us. But there are other people out there suffering like I am. We have been visiting him at the cemetery every two weeks. But he’s not there. He’s not at rest.
An audit of all human tissue stored on behalf of police forces in England and Wales in 2012 revealed 492 whole organs or ‘significant’ body parts were kept at police stations, labs and hospital mortuaries on behalf of the police in murder or suspicious death cases.
All of these remains were retained before 2006 when the Human Tissue Act came into force following the Alder Hey scandal when tissue from hundreds of dead babies were retained without families being told.
The act makes it illegal to remove or store human tissue without consent.
GMP bosses are said to have agonised about whether to inform the affected families - fearing it could traumatise them afresh.
But they decided the families should know and started the process of visiting each one late last year.
Once we knew about the samples we felt that such a sensitive issue was never going to be solely about following the regulations or the letter of the law.
For this reason we consulted with a number of relevant people, including community and faith groups, as well as our own Ethics Committee.
Following this extensive consultation it was agreed we had an ethical and moral duty to inform the next-of-kin in the vast majority of cases.
Since then, a team of detectives has been working to categorise the samples and to ensure everything possible has been done to locate the families.
In September 2016 we have started the long process of going to visit families relating to the 180 samples deemed to be appropriate for a visit.
Each family is being told about the sample held that was taken from their loved one and how they were taken for investigative reason
Police say victim was left 'terrified and fearing for her life'Read the full story ›
Police have released CCTV footage after armed robbers targeted a mobile phone shop in Rusholme. Shortly before 5.45pm on Saturday 18 February two men, one armed with an axe and a black handgun, went into a mobile phone shop on Wilmslow Road and threatened staff.
The man who wasn’t carrying a weapon jumped over the counter and filled a bag with mobile phones, before both fled on foot along Wilmslow Road and onto Grandale Street.
“The staff members weren’t hurt on this occasion, but to be confronted by men armed with weapons must have been terrifying and we have launched an investigation to track down the offenders.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting incident number 1827 18/02/17, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
A man has been jailed after a horde of guns was found at his home in Levenshulme.
John Maneely of Anchor Close, Levenshulme, pleaded guilty to five counts of possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of ammunition, possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance and possession of MDMA.
He has been sentenced to 7 years and 4 months in prison.
“We discovered a plethora of weapons at Maneely’s home that could be used with fatal consequences, and today he has been jailed. Today’s outcome is a result of hard work by the team at Xcalibre Task Force and support from the public and our fight against guns and drugs will not stop.”
Twelve men have been arrested in raids carried out as part of a crackdown on organised crime.Read the full story ›
The senior police officer who flashed a breast at a colleague during a drunken rant, will keep her job - despite being found guilty of gross misconduct. Assistant Chief Constable Rebekah Sutcliffe, from Greater Manchester Police, could've been sacked.
But a disciplinary panel ruled she should receive a final written warning instead. The officer's publicly apologised for her behaviour, and says she'll ensure it never happens again. Sarah Rogers was at the hearing.
GMP Assistant Chief Constable Rebekah Sutcliffe says she's 'ashamed', and that she 'deeply regrets' what happened after she escaped the sack for launching a drunken tirade at a junior colleague about the size of her breasts.
This afternoon she gave this statement at Greater Manchester Police's force Headquarters:
I would like to repeat the apology that I have already given to Sarah Jackson, to the Chief Constable and to my colleagues. I deeply regret what happened and the impact it has had upon those people. I continue to feel very ashamed that I behaved in this way. I would also like to apologise now to the public - for the unpleasant nature of the incident and for the fact that I have let them down.
The responsibility for what happened is mine and mine alone. At the time of the incident, I was under significant personal and professional pressure. In this context I foolishly became drunk, and as a result behaved in a way that is entirely at odds with the way I conduct myself on a daily basis and with the person and senior leader that I want to be.
I did not mean any of the things that I said and I am dismayed that I was so unkind and unfair. I hold Sarah Jackson in high esteem, and prior to this incident consistently supported her and many others over a number of years with professional development and progression.
Since the incident, through the support of professional counselling and my family and friends, I have reflected carefully on what has happened and taken steps to ensure this never happens again. I am determined to continue on this path.
I am passionately committed to the work of Greater Manchester Police and to public service. I have always sought to treat victims, the vulnerable, the wider public and my colleagues with care and respect and to promote this behaviour in others.
I am very grateful that I have been given the opportunity to return to work. On my return, I will bring the very best of my abilities to serve policing and the public as well as I am able. What I did was wrong, and I apologise for it. I now look forward to getting back to serving the community I love. 30 January 2017
A female police chief has escaped the sack after she launched a drunken tirade at a junior colleague about the size of her breasts.
Assistant Chief Constable Rebekah Sutcliffe, of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), told Superintendent Sarah Jackson that her "credibility was zero" after she had a "boob job" and berated her as a "laughing stock" who would be judged professionally "on the size of her tits".
She then went on to pull down the front of her dress to expose her left breast and say: "Look at these, look at these, these are the breasts of someone who has had three children.
"They are ugly but I don't feel the need to pump myself full of silicone to get self-esteem."
Following a misconduct hearing late last year, a disciplinary panel ruled that she had breached standards of professional behaviour.
But GMP Deputy Chief Constable Ian Pilling ruled on Monday that she could keep her job.
The panel had stated her gross misconduct had taken her to "the very precipice of dismissal" but accepted it was out of character and recommended a final written warning would suffice.
Ms Sutcliffe, who was the most senior female GMP officer at the time, verbally attacked her younger subordinate following a gala dinner at the national Senior Women in Policing Conference last May.
The haranguing in the early hours of May 6 at Manchester's Hilton Hotel concluded when Ms Sutcliffe told her colleague she was no longer going to support a further promotion for her.
Ms Jackson, who was appointed by Ms Sutcliffe as a temporary superintendent in a secondment role, later said she was "shocked, mortified, embarrassed and ashamed" at the comments made by her superior.
She added that she had suffered "great anxiety from the night itself and since".
Ms Sutcliffe's counsel, John Beggs QC, had handed the panel more than 200 pages of testimonials with many officers speaking of Ms Sutcliffe as "inspirational", "visionary" and "a strong leader".
One unnamed female detective chief inspector at GMP said she is "a role model to many women in the organisation".
Mr Beggs said she remained a role model, with "human frailties", who would "emerge as an even impressive senior leader" if allowed to.