Live updates

Advertisement

Police hunt suspect after elderly man attacked with an iron bar

Can you help police trace Marcus Cameron? Credit: Greater Manchester Police.

Police are appealing for help to trace a man suspected of breaking into an elderly man's home and attacking him with an iron bar.

Marcus Cameron, 25, from Bolton, is also wanted in connection with an assault in which a man smashed the window of a house and seriously assaulted a woman inside.

He has links to the Manchester and Huddersfield areas.

"These crimes are of a very serious nature and extreme violence was used against the female victims, some of whom are elderly.

"If you see Cameron, do not approach him, but contact police immediately. Should anybody be found to be assisting or harbouring this wanted man, they too will face being arrested and a criminal conviction and a possible prison sentence of their own."

– DCI Rick Jackson, head of Bolton CID, Greater Manchester Police.
  • Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

'Sleeper' craze police warning to children and parents

A screen shot of the warning on the GMP Facebook page.

Police have issued a warning to parents over a new “potentially deadly” craze called ‘sleeper.’

A child in Manchester was taken to hospital after falling victim to the prank where they were suffocated until they passed out.

It involves a child having their nose and mouth held shut by another child until they black out from lack of oxygen.

Officers issued a warning to parents over the game, known as ‘sleeper’, which officers say is potentially fatal.

A youngster was treated in hospital on Wednesday after they were a ‘sleeper’ victim, police said.

GMP’s North Manchester division posted on their Facebook site after the incident:

Dangerous New Craze Warning - Attention all parents/guardians...We have received reports of a new craze called ‘Sleeper’ This involves children completely covering the mouth and noses of younger children until they completely pass out.

This is extremely dangerous, a child is currently in hospital being treated after falling victim to this game.

Please advise every child you know and warn them of the dangers, this could easily lead to concussion or even death.

– Greater Manchester Police

Police appeal for missing man - public warned not to approach him

Police are warning people not to approach Harvey Collins Credit: GMP

Police are appealing for help to trace missing Harvey Collins, 22, who was reported missing from North Manchester General Hospital on April 1.

They are warning people not to approach Harvey but to call 101.

He is described as having short brown hair, is of stocky build and approximately 5ft 8/9in tall.

He is believed to be wearing a black hooded top, grey bottoms and blue trainers and was last seen heading towards Crumpsall tram stop. He is known to frequent Manchester City Centre.

His family have had no contact with him and he needs regular medication, which he has not taken with him and we are therefore concerned for his welfare.

I’d also appeal to Harvey himself to contact police to let them know that he is safe and well.

– Detective Constable Nick Kershaw

20 years in jail for man who murdered ex with hockey stick in front of their children

Oral David Bryan will serve a minimum of 20 years. Credit: Greater Manchester Police.

A man who hit his ex-partner in the head with a hockey stick and killed her during a heated argument in front of their children has been sentenced to life in prison.

Oral David Bryan, 44, of Cadogan Street, Moss Side, will serve a minimum of 20 years for the murder of Nicola McKenzie.

Bryan killed Ms McKenzie on September 17 last year after a heated argument broke out between Nicola and another woman outside his home, Greater Manchester Police said.

After watching it unfold, Bryan took a hockey stick from his house and walked towards the two women before he raised the stick with both hands high in the air and swung it down in an axe like motion and struck the top of Nicola's head.

She lost consciousness and fell to the ground, banging her head on the road in the process. With blood pouring from her head, Bryan attempted to lift the victim off the ground before letting her drop which resulted in her banging her head again.

He ran away from the scene but was arrested nearby a short time later.

The attack was witnessed by the former couple’s two children as well as Bryan’s other two children from a different relationship and another ex-partner's child.

Nicola was taken to the intensive care unit at Hope Hospital with massive skull trauma and brain injuries but she sadly died two days later.

“This was a tragic incident where the life of a woman was sadly cut short in brutal fashion by a man she was once close to.

“Oral David Bryan showed absolutely no concern about his victim and the only intention in his mind when he retrieved the hockey stick from his house was to cause serious harm.

“His lack of concern was further exemplified when he fled the scene to try and save himself rather than get medical attention for Nicola.

“I know the sentence passed here today won’t bring her back or even begin to make up for their loss but I hope it will offer Nicola’s family some closure and my thoughts are with them.”

– Senior Investigating Officer Duncan Thorpe, Greater Manchester Police

Advertisement

Teen held after Moss Side shooting

Greater Manchester Police are appealing for witnesses to the shooting. Credit: Press Association.

A teenager's has been arrested after a shooting in Manchester.

The 17-year-old was held on suspicion of attempted murder this morning after a 23-year-old man was shot in the leg on Great Western Street in Moss Side yesterday afternoon.

The man was taken to hospital for treatment and his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

The suspect remains in custody for questioning.

"I know people were anxious and alarmed following reports that a man had been shot in our community.

"I want to reassure people that as a result of the significant inquiries officers have been making, we have this morning carried out a warrant and arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder.

"We will now be questioning that man so I hope people will understand that I cannot divulge much more details at present.

"However, it is important that our community is made aware of this arrest and of the significant policing operation we have in place both to get to the bottom of this incident and reassure residents living and working here.

"We will keep the community fully updated as our investigation progresses."

– Detective Chief Inspector Andy Cunliffe, Greater Manchester Police
  • Anyone with information should contact Greater Manchester Police's South Manchester Neighbourhood Policing Team on 0161 856 4436 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Watch: all kinds of weapons handed in during amnesty

Credit: ITV NEWS

Greater Manchester Police has taken over 1500 knives and other sharp weapons off the streets during the ‘Bin the Blade’ knife surrender.

They range from domestic kitchen knives to swords, axes and hunting blades. The most unusual items include wartime cut-throat razors, a small knife in the shape of a shotgun cartridge and a number of ornamental daggers.

The campaign is part of the ‘Save a Life, Surrender Your Knife’ initiative. Surrendered knives will be used to create a spectacular 15-24 feet tall Angel statue in memory of those whose lives have been tragically lost to knife crime.

Detective Chief Inspector Debbie Dooley of Greater Manchester Police told us about the kind of weapons that have been handed in:

Jail for drug dealer who stashed cocaine in his underwear

Wayne Elphick stashed drugs in his underwear. Credit: Greater Manchester Police.

A drug dealer who stashed cocaine in his underwear in an attempt to avoid detection has been jailed.

Wayne Elphick, 43, of Bellscroft Avenue, Manchester, pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine with intent to supply at a hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison.

Last October Elphick was driving a red Seat Leon down Oldham Road, Newton Heath, when he was stopped by North Manchester Organised Crime Unit.

When they searched the vehicle, Elphick was found in possession of £272, two mobile phones and £550 of cocaine hidden in his underwear.

"This conviction shows that GMP will absolutely not tolerate drug dealing in our communities.

"Drugs can have a devastating impact on people's lives, not just the users but their families. I would ask anyone who has information into where drugs are being dealt or produced, to contact police."

– Detective Sergeant Andrew Buckthorpe, Greater Manchester Police

Arsonists target elderly couple as they sleep

Map shows location of Eldon Street.

Police are appealing for information after a house in Bolton was set on fire whilst an elderly couple slept inside.

The couple, aged in their 80s, were asleep in their home on Eldon Street, Tonge Moor, when they were awoken by the sound of their fire alarm at around 4am today.

They got out of bed to find the living room full of smoke and quickly managed to alert their neighbours by banging on the internal wall of the property.

With help from their neighbours, the couple were able to make it out of the property alive and were taken to Royal Bolton Hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.

The couple are now safe and well and are being cared for by family members.

A joint investigation between police and the fire service is underway to establish the exact circumstances leading up to the fire.

Police say it's believed to be an isolated incident.

“This is a terrible incident and enquiries are ongoing to try and establish who would target such a vulnerable elderly couple.

“We have stepped up police patrols in the area and I would like to reassure everybody in the local community that we believe this to be an isolated incident and a detailed investigation is now underway.

“Understandably the couple who live in the house are very shaken but thankfully they managed to escape the fire, suffering from only minor smoke inhalation and they are now doing much better.

“It is possible that the offenders may have discarded containers used to carry an accelerant or other suspicious items in the local area so if anybody finds anything of this nature then we would very much like to hear from them.

“I would also like to please urge anybody who may have witnessed the fire being started or anything suspicious in the area at the time to please contact the police.”

– Detective Inspector Charlotte Cadden, Greater Manchester Police
Load more updates