Seven people have been arrested following a series of dawn raids in Stockport targeting a suspected gang of violent criminals.
Police struck at addresses in the Brinnington area following a string of violent "home invasions and assaults", during which homeowners were either threatened or attacked.
Seven men were arrested on suspicion of assault and aggravated burglary.
They remain in police custody for questioning.
Detective Sergeant Matt Tarr said: "We believe the gang responsible for these violent attacks and home invasions are involved in an extensive criminal web that involves drugs, weapons and burglaries.
"That is why we have taken this action today and arrested seven people on suspicion of robbery.
"We know that residents want us to take a tough stand against those involved in the supply of drugs and other criminality that destroys the fabric of the communities we serve.
"I hope today sends a message to the community, including the criminal fraternity, that we will not allow people to be terrorised in their own homes and we will be coming for anyone who is involved."
Anyone who has information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of a road traffic collision and failing to report a road traffic collision. He remains in police custody for questioning.
A man is in hospital after a he was struck by a car driving at speed in the car park of a fast-food restaurant in Bolton.
The 32-year-old man suffered severe fractures to his legs, body and face following the incident, which took place at about 11.40pm on Friday in the car park of McDonald's in Derby Street.
It is believed the victim, who was with a group of his friends, became embroiled in a verbal confrontation with another group who were also at the restaurant.
Eventually, the second group split up in two separate cars, one of which drove off while the other drove at speed and struck the victim, causing him to suffer his injuries.
Neither car stopped at the scene following the incident.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 5595 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Vandals went on the rampage in Prestwich and damaged up to 30 cars.
Police in Bury are investigating after two men were seen to be vandalising dozens of cars - knocking off wing mirrors and jumping on car bonnets.
It is thought given the number of cars that have been targeted that the total repair bill for all the victims will run into thousands of pounds.
Officers were first alerted at about 6.30am yesterday when the vandals were seen to be jumping on a car on Lowther Road.
Since then, police have received up to 30 further reports of criminal damages to cars on Scott Road, Prestwich Park Road, Masefield Avenue, Shelley Road and St Anns Road.
However, police suspect many other cars may have also been vandalised and the owners have either not realised or yet reported them to police.
A Peugeot 206, BMW, Mercedes, Vauxhall Corsa, Renault Clio and a Kia Sportage were among the cars targeted.
One man has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon and remains in police custody for questioning.
Police are now appealing to anyone with information to come forward and also urging anyone who has not yet reported any criminal damage to their cars to do so.
Detective Sergeant Benjamin Cottam said: "What we are dealing with is mindless, wanton vandalism on a very large scale. This was not one or two cars that were scratched but at least 30 cars, probably more, that sustained considerable damage at the hands of these vandals.
"We have dedicated significant resources to catching those responsible. These individuals have caused a lot of upheaval and upset in this community and we will do everything we can to identify those involved.
"It is not just the financial hassle of paying for repairs that has upset the victims but the time it will take to rearrange work and home commitments to arrange for those repairs and sort out the mess caused by two wanton vandals."
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A man has been charged as part of an investigation into a double shooting in Oldham.
Andrew Marcus Burke, 53, of Holland Road, Crumpsall, is charged with possession of a firearm and is due before Salford and Manchester City Magistrates' Court today.
The alleged incident happened on June 29 when two men, who were sitting in a Seat Leon on Radcliffe Road, were approached by a gunman.
He spoke to the occupants briefly before shooting them both.
One man, 19, was taken to hospital for injuries to his abdomen and the other, 20, for treatment to injuries to his buttocks.
A handgun and live ammunition were later recovered by police.
Police have revealed they arrested 264 people across Greater Manchester during their summer drink drive operation. The busiest night for arrests was Saturday 14 June, the night of England’s first fixture. Of those arrested 63 blew positive following a crash.
More than 6,000 motorists were breathalysed as part of the month-long crackdown. 4.3 per cent were over the limit compared with 5.1 per cent last year.
It was part of a crackdown campaign in partnership with emergency services and Drivesafe at the to coincide with the World Cup. A car wreckage from a drink drive crash was put on display outside Manchester Town Hall and posters encouraging abstinence rather than restraint were put up in pubs.
As part of the operation, patrols were increased to specifically target people drink driving and officers breathalysed 1,100 more motorists than last year, paying a particular focus on the nights England played and the morning after.
Inspector Matt Bailey-Smith, coordinator of this year’s drink drive operation said: “Any reduction is positive and it’s great to see people heeding our ‘None for the Road’ message but 264 is still 264 too many.
“The World Cup and warm weather do not give people an excuse to drink drive and although our operation may be over, drink driving continues to be a priority and remains firmly on our agenda.”
A senior police officer says he believes it's dangerous because of violence and other problems linked to drinking.
Inspector Ian Hanson, a leader of the police federation in Greater Manchester, blames cuts and says public safety can't be guaranteed.
But the council and the force itself say his comments are wrong and they're working together to deal with the challenges.
Here's our correspondent Matt O'Donoghue with the story:
A man has been sentenced for viciously attacking another man as he left a Christmas party in Manchester city centre.
Alan Croydon, 25, of Norland Walk, Manchester, was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to 12 months in prison.He pleaded guilty to ABH at an earlier hearing.
Aaron Buckley, also 25, of Coronation Street, Openshaw, failed to attend court for sentence on Friday 06 June 2014 and is currently wanted.
He pleaded guilty to ABH at an earlier hearing.
On the evening of December 6 last year at about 12.30am the victim, a 32-year-old Doctor of Science was making his way home after a Christmas party, walking down Dale Street.
He was approached by three men who started to talk to the victim and then two of them suddenly attacked him; punching and kicking the victim to the floor, before stamping on him.
Detective Constable Paul Wilde from North Manchester division, said: "These two men viciously attacked an innocent man as he walked home after a Christmas party.
"The CCTV clearly shows the ferocity of this attack and the man was very lucky to have walked away with minor injuries. Croydon and Buckley subjected the man to an unprovoked and violent attack and such disgraceful acts will not be tolerated.
"One man failed to attend court and he needs to be brought to justice, but one man is now behind bars and I hope the sentence means the victim can move on with his life."
A four foot snake caused alarm when it was spotted slithering down a street in Manchester.
Shocked residents in Chorlton couldn't believe their eyes when they saw the reptile on the pavement.
They called the police after the reptile appeared on Tuesday morning.
Officers arrived on the scene and the RSPCA were also asked to attend and capture the creature.