Retail giant Argos says it has contingency plans in place to deal with a 24-hour strike by around 1,000 workers at five of its distribution centres. Members of Unite in Heywood, Greater Manchester will walk out for 24 hours in a row over new shifts
Argos said it had a five-year transformation plan involving its digital and in-store services.
We have proposed changes to our distribution employees' terms and conditions and have been engaging colleagues to introduce them. 98% of our distribution colleagues have already accepted the changes to their contract and we are working hard to understand and address any outstanding issues.
"We believe the proposed changes represent the best outcome for the security of our colleagues and Argos alike. We are now asking colleagues to accept the changes to their contract in order to help us realise our transformation plan.
– Argos statement
Unite said new shift patterns would disrupt workers' personal lives at weekends.
Detectives investigating are appealing for help tracing a getaway car used in an armed robbery in Heywood. It happened at about 3pm last Thursday when two men approached a bank on York Street, climbed onto the roof at the back of the property and cut through security bars.
The thieves smashed through the window and walked into the bank where they threatened members of staff with a crowbar and demanded cash. They then stole cash and ran out of the bank and drove off in a car waiting outside.
The car was a blue Audi S4 with the last three digits of the registration plate are similar to FFR or FRR and had a glass panoramic roof.
There was a violent robbery last week at a bank in Heywood and we are keen to trace the getaway car which was parked outside of the bank waiting for the thieves.
“The car is described as a blue Audi S4 with the last three digits similar to FFR or FRR with a glass panoramic roof and we believe it is parked up somewhere in the Heywood area.
"If you have seen a car matching this description, I would advise you not to touch the car, but call us as soon as possible with the location.”
A new community forum is being launched in Rochdale today.
It is after nine men were convicted of grooming girls as young as 13 for sex in Heywood, near Rochdale.
Speakers at the launch event today will include Pater Fahy, the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, Nazir Afzal, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for the North West and Rochdale Imam Irfan Chishti.
Manchester's Chief Constable, Peter Fahy, says more arrests are likely in connection with a child grooming ring in Heywood, Rochdale and he wants other victims to come forward. He also said arrests have been made in other sexual abuse cases, and that other trials were pending.
Liverpool crown court heard she started hanging out at the Tasty Bites takeaway in Heywood.
She said she would drink "straight" vodka and started to get calls from men who wanted to "chill" with her. They would pick her up at a Morrison's car park.
Most of the time I didn't know who it was, they'd just ring me are you coming, and I go yeah, and I didn't care who they were, I didn't know them, didn't know where we were going, just got in the car with people and then they took me to wherever".
– alleged victim
She was introduced to Adil Khan, of Oswald Street, Rochdale, known to her as Billy. It was alleged during the relationship the girl got pregnant with Khan's child. She went to a doctor with her mum and had an abortion while the pregnancy was still in its early stages.
Mr Khan and 10 other men accused of sexually abusing young girls in the area all deny the charges against them. The trial continues.