Live updates

Advertisement

Lanterns for the 96 light up Liverpool city hall

Liverpool Town Hall Credit: ITV

Candles representing each life lost at the Hillsborough disaster have been lit at St George's Hall in Liverpool.

Today, 27 years on since the disaster the families of those who died will find out if their loved ones were unlawfully killed.

The jury in the Hillsborough inquests will return to court today to deliver their conclusions into the deaths of 96 fans. The jury of six women and three men will give their decisions from 11am.

Families await Hillsborough inquests verdicts

Tributes to the 96 Credit: ITV

Families of the 96 Liverpool who died at the Hillsborough disaster are preparing to hear the verdicts of the jury at the inquests into their deaths.

The jury of six women and three men have heard 267 days of evidence in the longest inquests in British legal history. The jury has been told to answer a general questionnaire of 14 questions as well as record the time and cause of death for each of the Liverpool fans who died in the disaster at the FA Cup semi-final in Sheffield on April 15 1989.

The coroner, Sir John Goldring, explained to the jury yesterday that he could accept a decision of 7-2 or 8-1 on the one remaining question they had not agreed on - the question as to whether the Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed.

The jury continued their deliberations before they returned and indicated that at least seven of them had reached a majority decision.

Sir John said the decision would be given from 11 am on Tuesday so that the families would be able to attend.

The fresh inquests were ordered in 2012 after the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report into the tragedy. The report quashed the verdicts from the original 1991 inquests.

"It is difficult to convey the real sense of nervousness and anticipation that the families are feeling. They will reconvene to hear what the jury has to say at 11 o'clock...on what is sure to be a landmark day."

– Andy Bonner, Hillsborough correspondent, ITV Granada Reports

Hillsborough families find out results of fresh inquests tomorrow

Verdicts have been reached at the inquests into the 96 men, women and children who died following Hillsborough.

But we'll have to wait until the morning to hear what the jury has decided.

That's to allow the families of those who lost their lives after the disaster in 1989 to attend.

News of the verdicts came soon after the Coroner said he would accept a majority decision on whether the Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed.

Our Hillsborough Correspondent Andy Bonner reports:

Advertisement

Hillsborough Inquests - a mother's story

Verdicts have been reached at the inquests into the 96 men, women and children who died following Hillsborough.

But we'll have to wait until the morning to hear what the jury has decided.

That's to allow the families of those who lost their lives after the disaster in 1989 to attend.

Among the many relatives who've been to the hearings, since they began in March 2014, is Brenda Fox from Wirral.

She lost her son Steve at Hillsborough, aged just 21. This is Brenda's story:

Coroner directs Hillsborough Inquests jury

The jury in the Hillsborough Inquests has been given a majority direction on the question of whether fans were unlawfully killed.

Coroner, Sir John Goldring, said they to must continue to try and reach a conclusion for their last remaining issue on which at least seven of them agree.

They have been asked to answer 14 general questions about the 1989 disaster and tasked with recording the time and cause of death of each of those who died.

Last week the inquests heard the six women and three men have reached unanimous conclusions on all but the question of unlawful killing.

The jury is now on its eleventh day of deliberations at the special coroner's court in Birchwood Park, Warrington.

Load more updates