Liverpool City Council will posthumously award Freedom of the City to the 96 who lost their lives at Hillsborough on Thursday 22 September.Read the full story ›
Despite a Commons defeat the Leigh MP and Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham has pledged to continue the fight for a 'Hillsborough Law'. If passed it would give parity of funding to bereaved families at inquests where police are involved. He told our Political Correspondent Alison Mackenzie that the "injustices dealt to families at Hillsborough should never be repeated" . He hopes the House of Lords will now back amendments to the Policing and Crime Bill before it becomes law.
Andy Burnham will call on the Home Secretary to support a Hillsborough law to ensure the tragedy is a "watershed moment" for justice.Read the full story ›
A police force has apologised after an image from the Hillsborough disaster was used on a poster for an internal campaign.
The image was used by Greater Manchester Police advertising for ‘Super Recognisers’.
These are officers who who have a high ability to recognise individuals that they have previously seen, often years later, the force said.
GMP went on to say the poster was immediately recalled and the offending image was removed within 90 minutes of its initial circulation.
The Manchester Evening News reported the image showed fans being crushed with the caption “Can you pick out a face in a crowd”.
“We acted swiftly to remove the offending image and limit the distress caused, however, I recognise that the use of this image was obviously inappropriate and I am deeply sorry for the upset and offence that this has caused.
“The use of this image was not intended to offend but to demonstrate how ‘Super Recognisers’ can greatly assist on-going investigations."
Ninety six men, women and children died at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield on April 15, 1989.
It happened at an FA Cup semi final between Liverpool FC and Nottingham Forest.
Following a long campaign for justice by survivors and relatives of the dead, new inquests ruled in April that the victims were unlawfully killed.
Criminal investigations, including one by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, continue into the actions of police and other authorities on that day.
The father of Christopher Devonside who died at Hillsborough claims that South Yorkshire's chief constable at the time sneered at him.Read the full story ›
A 50-year-old man has been arrested after he was seen wearing a T-shirt in a pub that mocked the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.Read the full story ›
Gerry Marsden MBE has expressed his support for this weekend’s 'Run For The 96' 5K which will commemorate the Hillsborough victims.Read the full story ›
Retired South Yorkshire Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield has released a statement. This comes after the Hillsborough inquests returned verdicts of unlawful killing.
A Hillsborough survivor has been reunited with the man who pulled him out of the crush at the disaster in 1989.Read the full story ›
Steve White, chairman of the Police Federation today asked people to observe one minute's silence for Hillsborough victimsRead the full story ›