Live updates

Girl has stomach removed after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

An 18-year-old girl from Heysham in Lancashire is seriously ill in hospital after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

The drink, which was sold at a bar in Lancaster, also contained Jaegermeister.

She was rushed to hospital where doctors had to remove her stomach to save her life.

The girl had been enjoying a night out with friends on Thursday evening.

The bar that sold the drink has now stopped selling it.

Lancashire Police say they are investigating what happened.

"The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

– Lancashire Police spokesperson

Police say the girl is now in a 'serious but stable' condition in hospital. Medics believe had they not removed her stomach the girl might have died.

Load more updates