County councillors have turned down plans to frack for shale gas in Lancashire.Read the full story ›
A national one minute's silence to commemorate the victims of the Tunisia beach attack will be held at midday on Friday, David Cameron has told the House of Commons.
It is believed around 30 Britons may have been killed in the attack, though only 18 British deaths have so far been confirmed.
Earlier Tunisian authorities said they had detained a group of suspects believed to be associated with gunman Seifeddine Rezgui - the first arrests since Friday's beach massacre.
Suspected associates of the gunman who carried out the Tunisian beach massacre have been arrested.Read the full story ›
Police have released CCTV footage of two men who we would like to trace following a theft from a car in Fulwood, Preston.
The incident happened at around 4.15am on Tuesday June 9 on Kennington Road.
The video shows a Ford Galaxy car was parked outside an address on the street when two men approached the vehicle and smashes the passenger side window. One of the men reaches inside and took a wallet containing around £100 cash.
The two men try the doors of other vehicles in the street and look through windows, but no other items were taken.
In a similar incident on Beechway on the same day an orange Peugeot 207 was damaged after someone smashed the driver’s side window. Nothing was taken from inside the car.
If anyone recognises the men in the CCTV footage they are urged to call PC Paul Goulding of Preston Police on 01772 209784
Chris Faulkner, CEO of Breitling Energy and an outspoken international fracking advocate and proponent voiced disappointment at today’s decision by Lancashire Council, although only likely a temporary delay in the UK adopting fracking.
I'm truly amazed at Council's decision today, but I can see their dilemma. They have the facts from multiple sources that this could be done safely, yet they drive past well organised and very vocal protests on their way into the meeting and obviously emotion prevailed over fact.
Since last Thursday, when the councillors deferred to reflect on legal advice, fracking has continued on many wells in the U.S. without incident, yet here they were just considering two very highly-monitored situations...
Lancashire has for now passed on reaping the vast economic benefits of mineral development, as numerous communities in the U.S. have done in recent years, and is going against Government wishes to diversity the UK’s energy supply and reduce reliance on gas imports and dirty coal for electricity generation.
I am sure Cuadrilla will appeal both this and last week’s decisions and the Planning Inspector is bound to have a more pragmatic view of these applications, more in line with national policy and the national interest.
All British nationals injured in the terror attack on a Tunisian beach will be returned to the UK for treatment within the next 24 hours, Downing Street said, as the official toll of UK deaths rose to 18.
Officials confirmed that the total number of Britons killed when a gunman opened fire on sunbathers in the resort of Sousse is expected to reach "around 30", and said that the UK was pressing the Tunisian authorities to ensure swift access for British experts who have been sent to help identify remaining bodies.
Four of those needing treatment are being flown back to the UK on board an RAF C17 plane with "medevac" teams experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas, said Prime Minister David Cameron's official spokeswoman.
The developments came as Home Secretary Theresa May visited the scene of the massacre to lay flowers and observe a period of silence.
Mrs May and Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood have travelled to the country to pay their respects and take part in talks with the Tunisian government on addressing the extremist threat.
A total of 38 people perished after a gunman opened fire on a beach in the resort on Friday.
Some very warm air creeps up from the south Tuesday into Wednesday - good news for some, uncomfortable for others. Warm and humid nights.Read the full story ›
The rejection of fracking schemes in Lancashire comes as a significant blow to the Government's bid to go "all out" for shale.Read the full story ›
This decision is a Waterloo for the fracking industry and a triumph for local democracy. It's also a huge boost for efforts to kick the UK’s addiction to dangerous fossil fuels.
Lancashire councillors deserve huge praise for standing up to the relentless pressure from the fracking lobby and their minister friends. Their decision sends a powerful signal to other councils that the fracking juggernaut can indeed be stopped.
Cuadrilla's defeat should trigger a reality-check from a government that has staked so much of Britain’s energy future on this controversial industry.
In the year where the world is coming together to find a solution to our fossil fuel problem, we should be trying to harness the potential of clean energy and efficiency instead of deploying risky techniques to squeeze more polluting gas from under our feet.
The North and Western Lancashire Chamber Of Commerce have expressed disappointment at the decision made by Lancashire County Council to reject a bid by the energy firm Cuadrilla to explore for Shale Gas at the preston New Road site.
Although it is disappointing that councillors have gone against the recommendation of planning officers, we hope this is not the death knell for this industry in Lancashire.
In turning down this proposal, councillors appear to have ruled with their hearts, rather than their heads, and ignored the reasoned arguments of those with genuine expertise in this industry.
Our hope is that this decision will be appealed and that the appeal will be successful, otherwise what is certain is that fracking will go ahead elsewhere in the UK and Lancashire will miss out on thousands of jobs and massive economic benefits.