Live updates

Warning over liquid nitrogen cocktails

Gaby Scanlon's stomach had to be removed to save her life Credit: Twitter

Pubs and restaurants are being warned not to sell liquid nitrogen after an 18-year-old girl almost died.

Gaby Scanlon from Heysham is seriously ill in hospital after surgery to remove her stomach. She had drunk a liquid nitrogen cocktail at a bar in Lancaster.

Prof John Ashton, a public health expert based in Cumbria, warned of the dangers of drinking the super-chilled cocktails.

He said: "It's extremely dangerous. You've got alcohol, which in itself is dangerous, we've got liquid nitrogen which is a dangerous chemical.

"People should not be fooling around with these sorts of things."


Girl has stomach removed after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

An 18-year-old girl from Heysham in Lancashire is seriously ill in hospital after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

The drink, which was sold at a bar in Lancaster, also contained Jaegermeister.

She was rushed to hospital where doctors had to remove her stomach to save her life.

The girl had been enjoying a night out with friends on Thursday evening.

The bar that sold the drink has now stopped selling it.

Lancashire Police say they are investigating what happened.

"The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

– Lancashire Police spokesperson

Police say the girl is now in a 'serious but stable' condition in hospital. Medics believe had they not removed her stomach the girl might have died.

Load more updates