Manchester Airport has served 23 million passengers over the past year, the highest number in the 77-years since it opened.Read the full story ›
A security alert at Manchester Airport has been stood down after a 'suspicious device' was found on an Air France jet.
Greater Manchester Police said the device, on a flight to Manchester from Paris Charles De Gaulle, has been seized by officers and "safely security checked".
Airport operations have returned to normal, the police said.
"Shortly before 1.30pm on Saturday 21 November 2015, police received a report of a potentially suspicious item on a flight from Paris due to land at Manchester Airport.
"The aircraft landed a short time later, where it was met by emergency services and airport staff and passengers safely disembarked from the flight.
"The electronic item in question has been seized by officers and has now been safely security checked. Officers are now working to establish the identity of its owner."
"Manchester Airport operations team responded to a request from police to meet an aircraft travelling from France this afternoon.
"The aircraft was scheduled to arrive just after 1330, it landed safely and was met by emergency services.
"Passengers and crew safely disembarked whilst the police continued their operation. "
Police have confirmed the evacuation of a plane at Manchester Airport was caused by a bomb hoax.
At around 3.30pm on Thursday 19 November 2015, officers were called to Stand One at Manchester Airport's Pier B following reports that a passenger had claimed to have a bomb in his bag.
The aircraft was immediately evacuated and two men, aged 45 and 46, were arrested on suspicion of making a bomb hoax.
The passengers and their baggage are now being subjected to another security screening before they are allowed back on the plane.
The searches and security checks are on-going and no explosive devices have so far been found.
A flight to Morocco has been evacuated by police at Manchester Airport this afternoon.
EasyJet has confirmed all passengers on its 3.35pm flight to Marrakech have been taken off the aircraft "whilst the authorities carry out security checks".
“EasyJet can confirm that police were requested to board flight EZY1893 from Manchester to Marrakech at the request of the Captain.
"We take very seriously any security related issue made to easyJet to ensure the continued safety and security of our passengers and crew.
“All passengers have currently disembarked the aircraft whilst the authorities carry out security checks.
“The safety and security of its passengers and crews is always EasyJet's highest priority and we would like to thank passengers for their understanding. "
A flight to Morocco was evacuated by police after a bomb hoax at Manchester Airport this afternoon.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed officers were called at around 3.30pm following reports a passenger had claimed to have a bomb in his bag.
Police officials said two men, aged 45 and 46, have been arrested on suspicion of making the bomb hoax.
EasyJet confirmed all passengers on its 3.35pm flight to Marrakech have been taken off the aircraft "whilst the authorities carry out security checks".
Two metrolink links are closed this morning after a derailment at St Werburgh's Road.
The incident happened sometime last night and means that the Manchester Airport and East Didsbury lines will be suspended until further notice.
More updates when we have them.
Manchester Airport has announced a £1bn plan to transform the site over the next 10 years.
Hundreds of jobs will be created and it's expected passenger numbers will rise by almost ten million by 2025.
Those backing the plan say it'll be an important part of the vision for the so-called Northern Powerhouse.
But environmental groups say the money would be better spent on greener forms of transport.
Our correspondent Ashley Derricott looks at what it'll mean for passengers and job-seekers:
Bosses at Manchester airport have revealed a £1bn pound development plan. Over the next decade Terminal 2 will be expanded and there will be improved links between other terminals as well as faster security checks and more shops.
The 'Manchester Airport Transformation Programme' is a series of 60 enhancements that will provide the millions of passengers that use the airport every year with new facilities.
The key elements of the Transformation Programme include:
- Expansion and reconfiguring of Terminal 2
- Improvement of Terminal 3
- US pre-clearance facility, allowing passengers to clear immigration, customs, and agricultural inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before boarding their flight
- A new, enlarged security hall that will screen more passengers, quicker
- Self-service check-in facilities and around 50 food and beverage and retail outlets
"Manchester Airport plays a vital economic role in the region in which it serves. Its annual passenger numbers last year topped a record 22 million and it provides jobs for 20,000 people on site and a further 25,000 indirectly.
"Greater Manchester and the rest of the North West is increasingly competing on an international stage and an airport that is better suited to serving these global aspirations will significantly improve the impact the region can have in attracting inward and outward investment, helping it to realise its full economic potential and create further jobs and opportunities."
Flights at Manchester Airport were disrupted earlier due to a "potential drone sighting" in the area.
Some flights were delayed at Manchester Airport and some were diverted to other airports while a police helicopter investigated the report of the sighting.
But nothing was found.
"Due to a report of a potential drone sighting in airspace near to the airport, some flights have experienced short delays and a small number of flights have diverted to alternative airports while Greater Manchester Police carried out an investigation using their police helicopter.
"Upon inspection, nothing was found. As the safety and security of all of our passengers is paramount, operations on runway one were suspended for 20 minutes. Runway two, which was unaffected, will remain open for an hour so normal traffic flows can resume."
A drug smuggler who risked his life by swallowing more than 70 bags of cocaine before boarding a flight to Manchester has been jailed for five years.
Wade Williams, 53, was stopped by Border Force officers on Valentine’s Day after his flight from Barbados landed at Manchester Airport.
The incident adds to another high profile case, with another smuggler caught at Manchester Airport last month.
It’s understood Williams, of Georgetown, Guyana in South America, began to ‘produce’ the packages after high-tech border checks and during questioning and he was promptly taken for an X-ray.
The scan confirmed he had swallowed 1.5 kilos of high-purity cocaine in 72 small packages - each the size of a ‘large gherkin’.
The drugs’ likely street value once cut would have been £200,000. The bags were so potent that had just one of them split it could have been fatal.
This demonstrates the desperation shown by smugglers to get illegal drugs into the UK. His actions were foolish to say the least - had just one of the 72 packages swallowed by Williams broken or split it is likely the consequences would have been fatal.
It also shows that it doesn’t matter how well traffickers hide the drugs, we can still find them and stop them.