Fergie to help find new United manager

Each member of the Manchester United board, including Sir Alex Ferguson, will be asked for their views on who should replace David Moyes.

Live updates

Chosen One banner taken down at Old Trafford

The infamous ‘Chosen One’ banner - the subject of much attention during and in the aftermath of David Moyes' reign at Manchester United - has been taken down from the Stretford End at Old Trafford.

The banner's future has been subject to debate since Moyes was sacked on Tuesday.

A spoof listing on the internet auction site eBay caused a flurry of interest and there's also been suggestions it may find a new home at the National Football Museum.

Martinez confident Moyes will have no problems getting new job

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has said he is confident his predecessor David Moyes will have no problems in getting a new job after being sacked by Manchester United after just 10 months in charge.

Martinez thinks Moyes will be fine Credit: PA

The Scot was relieved of his duties after a disastrous season by United's standards, having been given the unenviable task of succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson after spending 11 years at Goodison Park.

Defeat to Everton last weekend was the final straw for the Old Trafford board, who are now looking for a new boss, but despite the fall-out seemingly tarnishing Moyes' reputation, Martinez is confident he will not be damaged in the long term.

He said: "We all know he is a very successful man and has a real strong winning mentality and he will get ready to bounce back straight away."

Advertisement

National

Clegg: Man United should have kept faith with Moyes

Nick Clegg has said Manchester United should not have sacked their manager David Moyes, who left the club earlier this week after leading the team through their worst ever Premiership season.

Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg has lent his support to sacked Manchester United manager David Moyes
Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg has lent his support to sacked Manchester United manager David Moyes Credit: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire/Press Association Images

During his weekly appearance on radio station LBC, Mr Clegg said: "I've got some sympathy for Moyes. Any change after such a huge figure like [Alex] Ferguson - and he's got an ageing squad - were going to be a really tall order for anyone.

Read: David Moyes will always be known as Ferguson's failure

"I thought they were just going to let him try and make the best of it, and then take on the new signings."

He added: "Personally I think they should have held onto him - but it's a personal opinion, and I tread lightly both as an Arsenal supporter and a politician."

Read: Man Utd deny Moyes' sacking handled unprofessionally

United refute 'unprofessional' claims

Manchester United have hit back at claims they handled David Moyes' dismissal in an "unprofessional" manner.

Moyes, sacked on Tuesday just 10 months into a six-year contract, was happy to concede results were not up to scratch when he spoke about his dismissal for the first time on Wednesday.

League Managers Association (LMA) chief executive Richard Bevan accused United of failing to handle Moyes' sacking correctly.

United quickly dismissed the allegation. A club spokesman told Press Association Sport: "We do not accept that it was handled in an unprofessional manner.

"The decision was not taken until late Monday night and was communicated face-to-face first thing on Tuesday morning.

"When reports started emerging on internet news sites on Monday afternoon, no decision had been taken at that time."

The Scot said: "During this period of transition, performances and results have not been what Manchester United and its fans are used to or expect, and I both understand and share their frustration."

The search for a permanent successor to Moyes is under way.

Breast cancer drug trialled in Manchester will not be routinely available

Breast cancer charities say they are extremely disappointed a new drug trialled in Manchester will not be made routinely available on the NHS.

Kadcyla can extend a patient's life by almost six months but costs more than 90 thousand pounds

The health service watchdog says that cannot be justified.

That means women with breast cancer would have to bid through their doctor to get funding for the drug.

Mel Barham reports.

Advertisement

Manchester United's post-Moyes share price rise 'wiped out' in New York

David Moyes' sacking sparked a share price hike Credit: PA Pictures

The sharp rise in the value of Manchester United's shares after David Moyes was sacked was wiped out in the space of an hour when the New York Stock Exchange opened for trading today.

United's shares rose to 18.78 US dollars - their highest point since Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement last May, at close of trading on Tuesday.

But within an hour of trading reopening the share value had experienced a slump and was down 6.8 per cent to 17.50 dollars.

Two Manchester men jailed for mortgage fraud

Alick Ute Kapikanya Credit: GMP

Two men from Greater Manchester have been sentenced for their part in a multi-million pound mortgage fraud.

Alick Ute Kapikanya, 45, from Stretford and Marshall Joseph, 56, from Hale were the masterminds behind a series of five conspiracies to defraud, which involved properties in Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Lincolnshire.

The pair arranged for property titles to be transferred from real homeowners to themselves before they then secured a variety of loans against those properties.

Kapinkanya was found guilty of conspiracy to defraud following a 10-week trial at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square.

He was jailed for six years.

Marshall Joseph Credit: GMP

Marshall Joseph, 56, from Hale and Myra Trigg, 57 from Moss Side, had previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud, fraud, and money laundering at earlier hearings.

Joseph was jailed for 4 years, 6 months and Trigg received a suspended sentence.

Four people from Cambridge were sentenced for their part in the fraud.

Manchester United response to criticism of the sacking of David Moyes

United 'do not accept' Moyes criticism Credit: PA Pictures

Manchester United have responded to criticism of the manner of David Moyes' sacking with the following statement: 'We do not accept that it was handled in an unprofessional manner.

'The decision was not taken until late Monday night and was communicated face-to-face first thing on Tuesday morning.

'When reports started emerging on internet news sites on Monday afternoon, no decision had been taken at that time.'

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories