Live updates

  1. National

M15 officer gives evidence in disguise at Naseer trial

Officer 1661 gives evidence at Naseer's trial. Credit: Court artist/Jane Rosenberg

The first of five MI5 officers today began giving evidence at the trial of alleged Manchester bomb plotter Abid Naseer.

Officer '1661' wore a beard, glasses and a wig to protect his identity.

Speaking in a Northern accent, he told the court in Brooklyn how he trailed Naseer in Liverpool during late March and early April.

Prosecutors claim Naseer planned to blow up the Arndale Shopping Centre in a bid to carry out a "second 9/11".

He is also accused of planning terorr attacks in New York and Copenhagen but denies the charges against him.

Advertisement

New technology cracking the cycle of crime

The GPS tracking devices are voluntary. Credit: ITV News.

Lancashire Police say their use of new GPS tracking technology to track their most prolific of offenders has helped them cut their bills and their crime rate.

The tracking bracelets have helped some of their worst criminals go straight and slashed more than £800,000 from the policing bill.

The tags enable police to monitor where people are and where they have been:

The devices enable police to track offenders. Credit: ITV News.

Watch below Inspector Joanne Keay of Lancashire Police explain how the force is using GPS technology.

Advertisement

Man who tried to have sex with post box found dead

Paul Bennett pleaded guilty to two charges of indecent exposure.

A Wigan man has been found dead one month after he was convicted of indecent exposure after 'trying to have sex' with a post box.

Paul Bennett was discovered at the rear of the Shanghai Palace in Poolstock in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The story of last month's court case went viral on the internet and drew world-wide attention.

“Police were called at 1.35am on Sunday, February 22, following reports the body of a 45-year-old man was found in Poolstock.

“His death is not suspicious.”

– Greater Manchester Police

Leech calls on Fifa to re-run 2022 vote

John Leech, Liberal Democrat MP for Manchester Withington.

Manchester Withington MP John Leech called for FIFA to re-run the World Cup bid process rather than allowing a winter World Cup.

The MP, who is also Lib Dem spokesman for Sport, said the terms of the cub should not be changed after the tendering process.

“I said back in October 2013 that Qatar got this bid under false pretences. If they cannot deliver the summer World Cup they promised, FIFA should go through the bidding process again.”

– John Leech MP
  1. National

FIFA recommends shorter 2022 World Cup in Qatar

The FIFA statement confirmed the task force had recommended a shorter tournament

The 2022 World Cup is likely to be staged in November and December. Credit: PA

It said: "The outcome of the discussions is also a proposed reduced competition days schedule with the exact dates to be defined inline with the match schedule and number of venues to be used for the 22nd edition of football's flagship event.

"The proposed event dates have the full support of all six confederations. The proposal will be discussed at the next meeting of the FIFA executive committee, scheduled to take place at the Home of FIFA in Zurich on 19 and 20 March 2015. "

The statement said the task force was exploring the option of staging the Confederations Cup in another Asian confederation country during the traditional June/July window in 2021, and using another FIFA competition such as the Club World Cup as the operational test event for Qatar in November/December 2021.

Load more updates