Live updates

Murder arrest in St Helens

Google Street View of Beacon Grove, St Helens.
Homes on Beacon Grove, St Helens. Credit: Google Street View

A man has been arrested after a man was found dead following reports of an assault in St Helens.

Officers were called to a house on Beacon Grove at about 2.20am today.

Officers found the body of a 35-year-old man in the house.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

The victim has not been identified.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out to establish the cause of death.

A 33-year-old man from St Helens was arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody for questioning.

The house was cordoned off for forensic examinations and officers are carrying out house-to-house enquiries in the area.

Anyone with information about the incident is urged to call St Helens CID on 0151 777 6811 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Witness appeal after 'targeted' Liverpool shooting

Police in Liverpool are appealing for witnesses after what's being described as a 'targeted' shooting on Saturday night.

Officers were called to Crawford Close in West Derby just after 2200 after reports shots had been fired and a group of men had run from the area.

A short time later a 22-year-old man went to hospital with a gun shot injury to his hand.

A Merseyside Police statement said:

"At this early stage of the investigation the motive is unclear, but it is believed to be targeted.

Crime Scene Investigators are carrying out forensic examinations at the scene and house-to-house inquiries are underway.

Patrols have been stepped up in the area to reassure the local community.

Officers are appealing to anyone who may have information which could help them with their inquiries to contact the Matrix Serious Organised Crime team on 0800 230 0600, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

Advertisement

Video badges to fight hate crime

This shop worker welcoms the badges. Credit: ITV News

The cameras are worn by a worker around their neck and, if they feel threatened or intimidated, can be activated by the press of a button.

The incident can be captured in full and used as evidence to support a police investigation.

In February, police in Knowlsey secured the first detection in the country using footage from the 'video badges' when they traced a 16-year-old student from Huyton who had racially abused a local shopkeeper.

How the badges look. Credit: ITV News

The incident was captured by the camera, which was being worn around the shopkeeper's neck, and within days the offender's face had been circulated among local police officers.

A school liaison officer recognised him and his parents were informed.

The boy initially denied having been part of the group that had been in the shop but when he and his mother were shown the footage.

The badges work alongside more common security measures such as CCTV. Credit: ITV News

ID badge cameras to help shop workers fight crime

Shopkeepers in Merseyside are being offered ID badges containing video recording devices in the fight against hate crime.

Dozens of tiny video cameras with crystal clear picture and sound quality are being offered to businesses suffering from anti-social behaviour.

The cameras are the size of an ID card holder and Merseyside Police say they have proved a big success during a recent trial in Knowsley.

The force says it helped officers investigate hate crimes and given local shopkeepers greater peace of mind.

CCTV appeal after race hate attack on Liverpool bus

Do you know this man? Credit: PA

Merseyside Police has released CCTV images of man officers would like to speak to in connection with a racially aggravated incident on a bus in Walton.

A woman passenger was subjected to comments about her ethnicity by a male passenger who was travelling with a child.

The incident happened on the Number 21 bus from Kirkby to Liverpool, as the vehicle reached County Road in Walton at 1.20pm on May 25.

The offender then assaulted a man who challenged him about his comments.

The assault victim sustained facial injuries during the assault and has been left upset following the incident.

Detective Constable Bob Hart, said: "Incidents of this kind, whereby victims are subjected to racial abuse, be it physically or verbally, will not be tolerated.

"We are investigating a number of lines of enquiry and are keen to speak to anyone with any information that could help our enquiries.

"I would like to reassure people that incidents of this type are rare."

Officers from Sigma, the Merseyside Police's dedicated hate crime investigation unit, are appealing to the man pictured, anyone who recognises him or anyone with information to get in touch.

Anyone with any information is asked to call 0151 777 4843 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Two held after road crash leads to firearm discovery in Liverpool

Two people were arrested following a road crash and the discovery of a suspected firearm.

Emergency services were called at about 1.15am to a report of a collision involving a motorcycle and a Ford Fiesta on County Road in Walton.

Paramedics attended and found a 23-year-old man who had been on the motorcycle with injuries to his leg. The driver of the Fiesta had sustained slight injuries.

The 23-year-old man was found to be in possession of ammunition and a suspected firearm was discovered at the scene.

Collision investigators were are at scene and a partial road closure is in place whilst inquiries into the incident are being carried out.

Witnesses should call Merseyside Police on 0151 777 8612 or 0800 2300 600 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Appeal after serious assault in Merseyside

Merseyside Police is appealing for witnesses after a man was seriously assaulted in Walton last night. Emergency crews were called to the junction of Dunluce Street and County Road at around 7 last night.

They found a 20-year-old man with injuries to his torso and head he remains in a serious condition in hospital.The offenders are believed to have left the scene in a yellow coloured flat-bed van. A search of the area is underway and the scene has been cordoned off for examination.

We are absolutely determined to find these offenders but we need the public’s help in piecing together what happened before and after they committed this crime. Our enquiries are at an early stage, but we currently believe this was a targeted attack.

County Road is a busy thoroughfare and I would appeal to anyone who was out and about at this time and think they saw anything that in hindsight seems suspicious, to contact us with that information. I’d also like to reassure people that incidents like this are rare and neighbourhood officers will be patrolling this area. We take incidents of this nature extremely seriously and we are appealing to anyone with any information about the people responsible for this attack to call us so we can take action against them."

– Detective Inspector Graeme Robson

Convicted murderer arrested in Oldham after going on the run

Arnold Pickering Credit: Merseyside Police/PA Wire

A convicted murderer who stabbed a blind man to death has been arrested in Oldham after going on the run from prison.

Arnold Pickering was arrested for being unlawfully at large at an address in Oldham, police said.

The 44-year-old, who was jailed for life in 1991 for killing a man he wrongly thought to be a paedophile, failed to return to HMP Kennet in Merseyside after leaving the Category C jail on day release on Saturday.

Merseyside Police said he was arrested by officers from Greater Manchester Police and is now in custody.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories