Merseyside Police are becoming increasingly concerned for the whereabouts of 14-year-old Reece EvansRead the full story ›
Police have released CCTV images of a man following an attempted robbery at a jewellery shop in Southport on Saturday 13th MayRead the full story ›
Police appeal for information following the discovery of two pushbikes and are investigating if they maybe linked to Yusuf Sonko's murderRead the full story ›
Merseyside Police have released CCTV images of a man in relation to the assault of a taxi driver in Birkenhead on Sunday, 14th MayRead the full story ›
A senior Merseyside detective is calling for people to tell someone in the wider community if they know where guns are being heldRead the full story ›
Merseyside Police have announced that officers investigating the murder of Yusuf Sonko have arrested a male today, Monday 5th June.
A 17-year-old from Toxteth has been arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to a police station where he will be questioned.
Police in Merseyside have called for communities to "stand together" against gun crime as a teenager was killed in the third shooting in the area in two days.
Yousef Sonko, 18, was shot in the street in Toxteth on Friday night.
The murder came after two men were injured in separate shootings in the Fazakerley and Seaforth areas on Thursday.
Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Richardson said: "We need to stand together to get these cowardly individuals off our streets and take firearms out of circulation. We need to build up an evidential picture.
"It is absolutely key in order to reduce the threat by taking firearms, as well as the people using those firearms, off our streets.
"If you have any information in relation to the whereabouts of firearms on Merseyside please contact us, we will act on all information.
"There is no place for firearms, or those who use them and bring fear to our communities, on our streets.
"We need members of the public to come forward with information so we can keep our streets safe and put these cruel and callous individuals who are causing pain in our communities behind bars."
Armed officers and ambulances were called to Tagus Street, at the rear of Lodge Lane, at about 8.30pm on Friday after Mr Sonko was found injured in the street.
He was taken to hospital but died a short time later.
Mr Richardson said: "The investigation is in its early stages and extensive inquiries are being carried out to establish any potential motive and to identify those responsible for this young man's tragic and untimely death.
"This was a cold blooded, targeted attack which has taken away the life of an 18-year-old man, who should have had the rest of his life to look forward to. A family has been shattered and their lives will never be the same again, we need to find those responsible.
"No mother, or father, expects to bury their child at the age of 18 years and I can't begin to imagine what this young man's family are going through, and our family liaison officers are currently providing them with specialist support.
Yusuf was dearly loved by all who knew him, his cheeky smile and charisma could light up any room.
"He was family orientated, kind, loving, and intelligent, his memory will live on in our hearts forever.
"His parents, brothers and sisters have been left with an unfillable void. "We ask anyone with information to please come forward and help us in our search for justice."
Merseyside Police have confirmed that the man who was killed in Lodge Lane on Friday 2nd June, is 18-year-old Yousef Sonko from ToxtethRead the full story ›
Chief Constable Andy Cooke today thanked his officers and the public for their hard work and support over the Bank Holiday weekendRead the full story ›
Merseyside Police were called today on Monday 29th May, to reports that a body had been found in a lake in SouthportRead the full story ›