Rain showers will turn to sleet & snow by Thursday night, lingering into Friday morning. A Met Office 'Be Aware' warning is now in placeRead the full story ›
Families of victims of the Hillsborough disaster are pursuing legal action against South Yorkshire and West Midlands Police.
The case, pursued by families of the 96 fans who died, accuses the police of a "systematic cover up" and "abuse on an industrial scale".
This week an inquest jury delivered a finding of "unlawful killing" over the fatal incident on April 15, 1989.
On Wednesday, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police David Crompton was suspended, a move welcomed by the families of Hillsborough victims.
The legal case was issued at the High Court last year but publication of the claim was prevented until after the inquest concluded.
The action, brought by law firm Saunders Law on behalf of hundreds of those affected by the disaster, is for "misfeasance in public office".
The firm said in a statement: "In addition to the police wrongdoing that caused the deaths, there is evidence of the systematic cover up intended to transfer the blame for what happened from South Yorkshire Police to the innocent, by spreading lies, doctoring evidence, pressurising witnesses and suppressing the truth.
"The evidence points to abuse on an industrial scale by both South Yorkshire and West Midlands Police, beyond any 'one bad apple' analysis.
"In addition to actions by individuals, the evidence suggests institutional misfeasance by these bodies directed against our clients and the fans generally."
The news of the action comes after it emerged retired officers from South Yorkshire Police were told to be proud of their work in the 1980s, in a message mistakenly made public on a website in the wake of the Hillsborough inquest findings.
Cold and wet weather over the region during Thursday and into Friday, turning to sleet and snow, especially overnightRead the full story ›
Following the Hillsborough verdict, whilst recognising that the decision has come years too late for many, justice has been served by the verdicts and now it is about accountability.
We recognise that it has taken the determination of families, friends and supporters of the victims to ensure that justice has been achieved.
We want to pay tribute to the hard work and determination of those who fought every step of the way to achieve this outcome which has been against all the odds.
We are also grateful to them, that in fighting for justice for the victims, their determination to show that fans did not in any way contribute to the deaths of their fellow supporters has also been fully and unequivocally vindicated.
We will also push to ensure anyone who is found to be responsible for any action that resulted in or caused, or covered up the reasons for, the deaths of so many people should face the full force of law.
We hope that the verdict, 27 years after that terrible day on 15 April 1989, will be of some comfort to the loved ones of those whose deaths could have been avoided.
The statement was signed by
- Luciana Berger Liverpool, Wavertree
- Peter Dowd, Bootle
- Angela Eagle, Wallasey
- Maria Eagle, Garston and Halewood
- Louise Ellman, Liverpool, Riverside
- Bill Esterson, Sefton Central
- Frank Field, Birkenhead
- Margaret Greenwood, Wirral West
- George Howarth, Knowsley
- Conor McGinn, St Helens North
- Alison McGovern, Wirral South
- John Pugh, Soputhport
- Marie Rimmer, St Helens South and Whiston
- Steve Rotheram, Liverpool, Walton
- Derek Twigg, Halton
- Stephen Twigg, Liverpool, West Derby
Police in Liverpool are appealing for witnesses after a man was shot dead in the street.
The victim thought to be in his 20's was found on the pavement at Lloyd Close in Everton shortly after five o'clock. Police are treating it as a targeted attack.
“A young man has lost his life and we are doing everything we can to bring the person or persons responsible to justice. It is still the very early stages of a major investigation and we need the public’s help in identifying who was in Lloyd Close at the time this incident happened.
I would urge anyone living in the street or nearby or anyone passing by who saw or heard anything suspicious to please do the right thing and come forward. Even the most trivial or insignificant piece of information could be important and help us bring the perpetrators to justice.
Police have sealed off a street in Liverpool after a man was shot dead.
Officers were called to Lloyd Close in Everton at 5.15pm this evening, amid reports a man had been injured. He died later in hospital.
Forensic teams are searching for evidence. Detectives are trying to trace the man's family.
We know his boxing is world class but Tyson Fury's dance moves might need some work.
Wladimir Klitschko looked unimpressed by them at a press conference in Manchester ahead of their rematch on July 9.
Merseyside Police is appealing for information regarding whereabouts of Lee Jason Stewart who may have information in relation to assault.Read the full story ›
Cold air. Sleet and snow showersRead the full story ›
How does the rest of the week look weather wise?Read the full story ›