Police are investigating claims that a young woman was racially abused on a Metrolink tram.Read the full story ›
There are severe delays to services on the Eccles Line of the Manchester Metrolink between Eccles and Piccadilly Gardens due to a broken down tram at Cornbrook.
Metrolink are offering free transport to gig goers for the One Love Manchester concert tonightRead the full story ›
Work to build a new six-stop Metrolink line to the busy Trafford Park industrial estate and intu Trafford Centre will ramp up this month.
The road closures will be introduced in three phases and will remain in force for approximately three years.
- From today Mosley Road will be closed south at its junction with Village Way, which will also include a footway closure on the south side of Village Way
- The second phase will include a closure of Wharf End and Victoria Place, a footway closure of Sir Alex Ferguson Way and a 30mph speed limit on Park Way. This will come into effect on Monday 22 May.
- From Monday 19 June, Trafford Wharf Road and Village Way will become one way eastbound. Further closures of adjoining roads will also be necessary at times.
Diversion routes will be clearly signposted and local bus services will be re-routed.
Road users are encouraged to allow more time for their journeys.
Metrolink services were delayed on Monday 17th April after vandals threw rocks at a tram and smashed a window.Read the full story ›
Transport for Greater Manchester have released a video of Metrolink’s new Second City Crossing for the first time.
It took three years to build and will take it's first passengers on Sunday.
The new route will travel from St Peter’s Square along Cross Street to stops at Exchange Square and Victoria, and will allow more trams to run through the city centre.
When the new line opens, Manchester Airport services will run to the city centreDeansgate-Castlefield stop.
A teenager has been spared jail but banned from the Metrolink network after a US Army veteran was racially abused on a tram in Manchester city centre.
19 year old Aaron Cauchi is the last of three to be sentenced after university lecturer Juan Jasso was told to ‘get back to Africa’ just days after the Brexit vote in June last year. Juan Jasso, who has lived in this country for 18 years, became an unlikely internet sensation when video footage of him standing up for himself appeared online.
Cauchi must pay legal costs and received a criminal behaviour order for two years, which bans him from travelling on Metrolink services across Greater Manchester and associating with the other two defendants.
Mr Jasso - who was hailed as ‘Super Juan’ on social media - was applauded by other passengers after he told the three to mind their language. In a victim impact statement read out in court, Mr Jasso said their behaviour was ‘disgusting’ and said he wanted to ‘challenge them’ because children were on board.
Man was taken to hospital from court as he was due to be sentenced over racial abuse of a US Army veteran - after seeing his pal locked up.Read the full story ›
No service on Manchester Metrolink between Rochdale Town Centre and Milnrow due to points failure. Tickets being accepted on local bus routes. Tickets are accepted on the 181, 182 and 58 buses.
A man is recovering in hospital after being stabbed in the neck, on a tram in Greater Manchester.
It happened just before 7am on Saturday, October 8, when a man, 36, was travelling to Ashton as the tram passed through Beswick.
There was an altercation before the victim's neck was slashed with a knife. The offender fled the scene, alighting at the Velopark stop
The victim was seriously injured and taken to hospital for treatment where he remains in a stable condition. His injuries are not life-threatening.
The offender is described as black, aged between 35 and 45-years-old, of stocky build, and around 5ft 4in tall with a shaven head.
He was with a woman, who is described as white, with long, dark hair in a ponytail.
She was wearing a short black skirt, a black top and black wedge heels.
This was a vicious and unprovoked attack, which has left this man with very serious cuts to his face and neck.
It is only good fortune that prevented this man from suffering potentially life-threatening injuries, because if this knife had cut an artery I would dread to think what the result could have been.
We know there were a number of people on the tram at the time, and we need them to come forward and tell us what they saw.
- Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 1146 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.