The parents of a baby who choked to death at nursery, are taking their campaign for compulsory first aid training to parliament.
The couple were hit by tragedy two years ago when their nine-month-old daughter Millie died in a choking incident at Ramillies Hall Private Nursery in Cheadle Hulme.
Dan and Joanne Thompson then went on to set up Millie’s Trust - a charity aiming to raise awareness of paediatric first aid training. Today the matter will be discussed in Parliament, this morning the couple spoke to Good Morning Britain.
A housing association in Salford, has teamed up with charity Millie's Trust to deliver free first aid training sessions. Children aged eight to sixteen, along with their parents, will learn vital techniques, including treating burns and cuts and performing life-saving CPR.
Millie's trust was set up by parents Joanne and Dan Thompson. Their baby daughter Millie died after choking on food at a nursery in Cheadle Hulme in October 2012. They work with various organisations stressing the importance of first aid as a potential life saver.
One young mum, Charlotte Lovely, told Granada Reports recently how she saved her son Oscar's life after watching a report about Millie's trust here on this website.
A coroner is calling for all nursery staff to be given full life-saving training after the death of a baby girl near Stockport.
Millie Thompson, who was nine months old, choked while she was being fed by staff at Ramillies Hall Nursery in Cheadle Hulme.
Speaking outside Oldham Magistrates Court, the parents of nine-month-old Millie Thompson, said they plan to sue the nursery where their daughter suffered a fatal choking incident last October.
Mrs Thompson added: "Unfortunately the 999 operator was not in the room with Millie and could not see the seriousness of Millie's situation."
She criticised the quality of first aid care given to "our beloved daughter" up to the point where the paramedics attended and added the ambulance service had conceded it had wrongly graded the call.
During the inquest it the death of Millie Thompson it emerged that the 999 call handler admitted making two "fundamental" errors in responding to the report.
After terminating the call, North West Ambulance Service employee Aaliyah Ormerod said:"Jeez, stop giving me information."
Ms Ormerod conceded in a statement to the court that she wrongly graded the call and did not recognise it as an immediate life-threatening situation which meant a rapid response vehicle was not sent to the nursery.
She also admitted she should have stayed on the phone until the ambulance arrived.
The coroner said he expected her employers to take action over the end-of-call comment which he said had "added insult to injury, quite literally".
The jury at the inquest of a nine-month-old girl who died after choking at a nursery has returned a verdict of "misadventure".
Millie Thompson died at Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport after being fed at the Ramillies Hall nursery in Cheadle Hulme.
The headteacher of the nursery where nine-month-old Millie Thompson suffered a fatal choking incident described the inquest's ruling of Misadventure as "comforting" but does not alter the fact staff at the school "continue to miss her and think of her family every day."
The nine-month-old baby who died after choking on food at her nursery had suffered from a rare complication during the incident, a coroner has said.
An inquest at Oldham Magistrates' Court ruled that Millie Thompson died of misadventure when she choked on shepherd's pie during lunch at the nursery in Manchester in October last year.
An expert witness in paediatrics told the inquest that the only effective treatment would have been a medical procedure where a needle is inserted to the chest.
Paramedics are trained to carry out the procedure, but the coroner said that it would have been difficult to make the correct diagnosis in such a young child and nursery staff could not be criticised for not recognising the condition.
All nursery school staff should undergo paediatric first aid training, a coroner has said at the inquest of nine-month-old Millie Thompson.
The inquest heard that when Millie began coughing during her feed, the nursery supervisor - whose basic first aid certificate had expired - shouted for help and a colleague with paediatric first aid training proceeded to give the child back slaps.
While the inquest ruled that Millie suffered from a rare complication and nursery staff could not be criticised for not recognising the condition, coroner John Pollard called on the Government to make paediatric first aid training mandatory for all nursery school staff.
Mr Pollard said that he would write to the Education Secretary Michael Gove to ask that all nursery staff have such training, "as a matter of national importance".