Live updates

Advertisement

Millie jury to consider verdict

Millie Thompson Credit: Thompson family

The coroner at the inquest into the death of a nine month old baby girl who choked at nursery in Cheadle Hulme will begin his summing up today.

The inquest has heard how Millie Thompson choked on a piece of mash potato on her third day at Ramillies Hall Nursery.

Millie's parents, Joanne and Daniel, say they want to know how the tragedy could have happened.

The jury is expected to be sent out to consider their verdict later.

Paramedics "stood little chance" of saving choking baby

The parents of a nine-month-old baby who choked to death on her third day at nursery have been told that staff and paramedics stood little chance of saving her.

Millie Thompson was being fed mashed up shepherd's pie by a nursery supervisor when she began to struggle to breathe.

One expert has told how the little girl suffered a rare event that required specialist knowledge and treatment.

Inquest into baby who choked at nursery resumes

Millie Thompson Credit: ITV Granada

The inquest into the death of a 9 month old baby girl who choked to death at her nursery is due to resume this morning.

Millie Thompson was on her fourth day at Ramillies Hall Nursery in Cheadle Hulme when she began to struggle with her breathing

The inquest into her death has heard how staff tried to save her but by the time she arrived at hospital her heart had stopped beating.

The little girl had choked on the cottage pie she was being fed.

Advertisement

Inquest into the death of a baby at nursery

A mother is demanding to know how her nine month old daughter choked to death at a nursery in Greater Manchester.

Joanne Thompson's baby Millie had been at Ramillies Hall nursery in Cheadle Hulme only a few days when she choked on her lunch.

The inquest into her death has heard how staff tried to save her but by the time she arrived at hospital her heart had stopped beating.

Our correspondent, Matt O'Donoghue, has been at the hearing:

Mother of baby who choked at nursery demands answers

Millie Thompson Credit: ITV Granada

A mother has demanded to know how her nine-month old daughter could have choked to death after being fed mashed-up shepherd's pie at a nursery.

Millie Thompson started coughing and crying during her feed before her lips turned blue, an inquest jury was told.

Staff at Ramillies Hall private nursery in Cheadle Hulme, Stockport, performed first aid on the youngster and then rang for an ambulance.

The baby was still breathing and conscious when a call operator advised the school to call back if her condition worsened and said paramedics were on the way, Oldham Magistrates' Court heard.

By the time the ambulance arrived 10 minutes later, Millie had gone into cardiac arrest and less than a hour later she was pronounced dead at Stepping Hill Hospital.

Today her mother, Joanne, said she wanted answers as to how Millie died on October 23 last year.

Addressing the jury while clutching one of her daughter's shoes, she said: "All we want to know is how our perfectly healthy daughter was dropped off where we felt she was safe and did not come home that day.

"How could she have choked on mashed potato? All we want to know is how did this happen.

"We don't want any other parent to go through this."

She told South Manchester Coroner John Pollard that it was only her daughter's third full day at the school which they had chosen on recommendation.

Millie had been "quite a confident eater" and she and husband Dan were happy that the school gave her mashed food, she said.

Inquest begins into death of baby who choked at nursery

Millie Thompson Credit: ITV Granada

An inquest into the death of a baby who died after choking on food at a nursery in Cheadle Hulme has begun.

Nine month old Millie Thompson died in October 2012 whilst she was at Ramilies nursery.

Her parents have since set up a trust to teach parents first aid.

The inquest at Oldham Magistrates court is due to last three days.

Life-saving mum says 'Thanks' to Millie's Trust

A mother has been telling the remarkable story of how she was able to save her baby son's life after she'd watched our news report on how to deal with choking children.

Charlotte Lovely panicked when her son Oscar was struggling to breathe then remembered seeing our story on Joanne and Dan Thompson, who've set up a charity to teach life-saving skills after their daughter Millie died choking on food at nursery.

Millie's Trust aims to teach parents and nursery workers how to help prevent another tragedy and that's how Charlotte knew exactly what to do.

Load more updates