Helicopter and dogs join search for pensioner who hasn't been seen since leaving home to go for a walkRead the full story ›
Police are investigating after a man lost his fingers in a knife attack in north Manchester.Read the full story ›
Paul Dawson and Karen Wakefield say the show has left them feeling suicidal and in bad health.Read the full story ›
Police were called to a fatal road accident involving a green Rover 25 in the early hours of this morning on Lightdowne Road in Moston.
Three people were in the car, a 21-year-old male passenger who died at the scene, an 18-year-old male passenger sustained life-threatening injuries and the 19-year-old male driver sustained serious injuries but is in a stable condition.
The crash happened at around 1.10 am when the car collided with a lamp-post. No other cars are thought to be involved.
Formal identification has yet to take place
First and foremost I would like to say that this is a tragic incident where a young man has lost his life and I want to extend my sincerest condolences to his friends and family.
“We are still trying to establish the events leading up to the collision and so I would like to appeal to any witnesses or anybody who may have information to please contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit.”
Anybody with information should contact the Greater Manchester Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4741.
A murder investigation has been launched after a man was found dead in north Manchester.
Police have arrested a 48-year-old man on suspicion of murder after an incident at a home on Carnaby Street in Moston, early today.
Officers detained a suspect after being called to reports a 50-year-old man had been found dead at 6am.
The 48-year-old remains in police custody for questioning.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Police were called to Carnaby Street, Moston at around 6am this morning following reports that a 50-year-old man had been found dead.
A 48-year-old man's been arrested on suspicion of murder.
He remains in police custody for questioning.
A man has been jailed for nine years after stashing pistols, a silencer and ammunition at his elderly parents' home in Moston.
Anthony Filz hid a gun used by the Czechoslovakian army in the 1960s inside a rucksack. The bag also contained a self-loading pistol.
Police in Manchester are searching for a man wanted for attempted GBH and theft.
John Parkes from Blackley is wanted for a serious assault and theft that took place on Scawton Walk on Saturday 21 June.
Sergeant Stacy Jackson said: "Parkes is a dangerous offender that has used violence in the past and is not to be approached by members of the public.
"Should anybody be found to be assisting or harbouring this wanted man, they too will face being arrested and a possible prison sentence of their own."
Police have released CCTV pictures after two men attempted to rob a bookmaker in Moston, Manchester.
The incident happened at around 8.15pm on Friday, June 13, when two men got out of a dark blue Ford Focus which was parked outside Coral bookmakers on Moston Lane.
They went inside and one of the men, who was armed with a meat cleaver, went to the cashier’s desk and demanded money.
He attempted to smash the security glass while the other man stayed by the door.
Both men left empty handed when the alarm was set off.
They got into the same car parked outside and drove away.
Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident.
The offenders are described as black and both were wearing balaclavas and dark clothing with the hood up. One is described as around 6ft tall and slim while the other is around 5ft 6in tall and stocky.
Detective Constable Nick Kershaw said: “The dark blue Ford Focus had tinted back windows and was parked outside the bookmakers for several minutes before the two offenders went inside.
"We would ask if anyone saw this car or the two men before or after the robbery to contact police.”
Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 3925 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Police are hunting a gunman who threatened teenage boys with a BB gun in north Manchester.
Two 14-year-old victims were walking along a wooded short cut between Belthorne Avenue and Moston Lane.
Police say two men walked up to the boys and one of them asked them to hand over their phones.
When they said no, one of the robbers produced a gas-powered BB gun and shot one of the boys in the head.
He then went to reload the gun and the victims took the chance to run away.** **One boy received a cut to his ear and side of the head while the other needed to have surgery to remove the ball bearing from the back of his head.
The man with the gun is described as about 20 years-old with short ginger hair and a light ginger beard.
He was about 5ft 11in tall with a tall, stocky build and wearing dark blue jeans and a light grey hoodie. His accomplice was of a similar age with dark hair, about 6ft tall and had a full black beard.
Detective Constable Mike Keogh, based at North Manchester Divisional HQ, said: “To fire a BB gun at someone’s head from point-blank range is an horrific thing to do, even by the standards of armed robbery.
“Had the pellet hit the face or an eye then this could easily have been a murder investigation.
“Thankfully his injuries were mainly superficial but that doesn’t lessen the seriousness of this crime.
“I want people to now take a good look at the evofit image and let us know of you have seen this man.
He has short ginger hair, as well as a ginger beard, and the second man had a full black beard.
They would make quite a distinctive pair at the time so I am confident that someone would have seen them.”