Live updates

Man partially loses sight in meat cleaver attack

A man has lost partial sight in one eye and needed 40 stitches to close a head wound after he was attacked with a meat cleaver in Newton Heath.

This man was the victim of a brutal, vicious attack that has left him with life-changing injuries.

Not only has he lost partial sight on his eye, but he will also be left with a huge scar such was the voracity of the beating he sustained.

Such violence is completely and utterly unacceptable. There can never be any justification for using a meat cleaver to slice someone's face open and we need to find the offenders as soon as possible.

– Detective Constable Andrea Holden-Cullum

Advertisement

Man jailed for life after stabbing wife

Krzysztof Kindzierski Credit: GMP

A man has been jailed for life after stabbing his wife in the chest.

Zaneta Kindzierki was found death at her home on Surbiton Road, Newton heath in July this year. Police were alerted after a 15 year old girl told an employee at a nearby ASDA her mother had been killed.

Krzysztof Kindzierski was waiting outside the store but left before officers could get there. Meanwhile, another patrol went to the house and forced open the door. They discovered his Zaneta's body, with a stab wound to the chest in the upstairs bathroom. A blood stained knife was from under a bed.

A short time later two PCSOs saw Kindzierski with his children near the house and he was arrested. Kindzierski was today, sentenced to 18 years, four months imprisonment.

Senior Investigator Duncan Thorpe said: "This is a shocking waste of a life which has had devastating consequences for her children and grandchild. Kindzierski has never said what prompted the attack leading him to stab his wife to death."

Man charged with murdering woman in Manchester

GMP Headquarters Credit: PA

Police have charged a man with the murder of a woman in Manchester.

The body of Zaneta Kindzierska, 32, was found at a house on Surbiton Road, Newton Heath last Tuesday. She had been stabbed in the chest.

Krzysztof Kindzierski, 40 and from Newton Heath, faces charges of murder and false imprisonment.

Four men arrested after attack on teens

Police investigating a serious assault on two teens in Greater Manchester have arrested four men.

The boy and girl, who are both 15, were seriously injured when they were assaulted by a group of men on Briscoe Lane in Newton Heath, at about 2.20pm on Saturday March 2.

CCTV of the moments before the attack showed three cars pulling up next to a group of youngsters.

Around a dozen men got out of the cars and attacked the youths.

They chased a 15-year-old boy onto Harringay Road and attacked him with a weapon, leaving him with a broken arm and facial injuries that required stitches.

The 15-year-old girl was hit in the face and suffered a fractured cheekbone and other facial injuries.

The men then got back into their cars – a silver Peugeot 306, a black Volkswagen Passat and a dark coloured Vauxhall Astra – and drove off along Briscoe Lane towards Ten Acres Lane.

Police executed warrants at five addresses in Openshaw, Crumpsall and Moss Side this morning. They arrested four men on suspicion of section 18 assault.

Police also seized a number of vehicles as part of the investigation.

Detective Sergeant Jim Slack, said: “Firstly I would like thank the public for their fantastic response to our media appeals.

“As a direct result of the information provided we have executed a number of warrants this morning and arrested four people in connection with this appalling assault.

“While we have taken this next step in our investigation I continue to urge anyone with information who has not yet spoken to us to please do so.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 3832, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Police appeal for witnesses

We are still trying to establish the circumstances which led to the victim receiving his injuries and I would ask anyone who may have witnessed the attack or heard noises coming from the house to contact police. However, I would like to reassure the community that one man has been arrested and we do not believe the attack was random.

– Detective Inspector Andy Naismith, North Manchester CID

Advertisement

Arrest after hammer attack

A man is in a critical condition after being attacked with a hammer in Manchester.

At around 9am on Sunday, police were called to a flat on Graver Lane, Newton Heath following reports a man had been assaulted.

On arrival, officers discovered a 20-year-old man with serious head injuries. He was taken to hospital where his condition is described as critical but stable.

A 37-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.