Live updates

Advertisement

Condition update on Manchester attack patients

Fifty are now being treated across eight hospitals, including 17 patients who are currently in critical care Credit: PA

Figures released on Tuesday by NHS England showed that 116 people received inpatient care in the days immediately after the attack.

Fifty are now being treated across eight hospitals, including 17 patients who are currently in critical care.

The suicide bomb attack happened at the Manchester Arena on 22nd May and killed 22 people.

The figures released by NHS about the injured Credit: NHS

In what was a devastating week for Greater Manchester, staff across the NHS and care services, together with our public and voluntary sector partners have worked tirelessly to ensure everybody affected is receiving the care they need. Our staff are doing this with unwavering professionalism and dedication.

Like everyone else, they too, have been affected by these awful events. The overwhelming support from across the country and around the world has helped our staff get through this difficult time. On behalf of them, I'd like to thank the public for their kindness and the strength they have given us all.

Our thoughts remain with all those grieving for their loved ones and for anyone who was affected by these awful events. NHS and care organisations will continue to treat patients, and in some cases, we will be caring for individuals and supporting families for months and years to come.

We will be helping all those injured by this attack and their families, paying particular attention to their physical, emotional and practical needs to help aid their recovery and support quality of life. Each person will have a lead worker liaising with health and social care services in the area where they live.

– Jon Rouse, Chief Officer of Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership

Cyber attack incident officially closed on Fylde Coast

The NHS says that the cyber incident has been closed on Fylde Credit: PA

NHS bosses have confirmed that the cyber attack incident on the Fylde Coast has now been officially been closed.

It took down hundreds of electronic systems across the Fylde coast earlier this month, affecting computers and other electronic systems used by the NHS across Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre, shuting them down in a ransomware attack on 12 May.

1,217 computers were on Fylde, 996 of which were at the hospital, but the NHS say 95 per cent of computers had been fixed within seven days, and all affected machines on the Fylde coast were back online by Monday 22 May.

We are pleased to report that we have now closed down the cyber-attack incident on the Fylde coast.

The effects of this attack were felt across all of our organisations and we must pay tribute to our staff who have worked tirelessly to make sure services have continued to run effectively and safely for our patients.

We also reiterate our thanks to people living across the Fylde coast who have shown a great deal of understanding during this time of difficulty.

– NHS statement

Operations cancelled at North West hospitals after cyber attack

North West hospitals have been forced to cancel operations and brain scans because imaging equipment is still offline following a cyber attack.

Many patients have been praising NHS staff for the way they've handled the crisis.

Some nurses even used their own mobile phones to take pictures of patients results and then ran them through to doctors.

The latest news is that several hospitals in the region they include Blackpool,Chorley,Preston,Southport and Ormskirk.

And it can mean a worrying time - and long waits for patients.

You can watch Elaine Willcox's report below.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn and Tim Farron have both been speaking to nurses at the Royal College of Nursing Conference in Liverpool today.

The Labour leader says government cuts exposed the NHS to cyber attack.

The leader of the Liberal Democrats didn't mince his words either, criticising the government for hospitals using outdated systems.

Southport & Ormskirk hospitals still affected by cyber attack

Credit: PA

Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals NHS Trust say they're still experiencing difficulties after a cyber attack on NHS computer systems.

However bosses at the trust say patient safety is being maintained.

Patients are being warned to only use Accident and Emergency at both Southport and Ormskirk hospitals only in an emergency.

The trust also say that all patient information is safe following the breach.

A full statement can be found below.

Patients who are scheduled for surgery today and tomorrow (Tuesday 16th May) should not to attend unless we contact you directly today.

All outpatients and endoscopy appointments for today and tomorrow have been cancelled. We will contact you to make a new appointment.

Routine MRI and CT scans have also been cancelled today and tomorrow. Patients will be contacted directly if they need to attend.

Dialysis and blood clinic (phlebotomy) patients should attend their appointments as usual.

The pregnancy assessment unit at Ormskirk hospital will be open as usual.

All antenatal clinics at Southport, Ormskirk and in the community will go ahead as usual. This includes pregnancy ultrasound.

Gynaecology and sexual health clinics are operating as usual but there may be delays.

– Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals NHS Trust Statement

Meanwhile Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has confirmed there has not been a second wave of cyber attacks on NHS trusts.

Large swathes of the NHS have been paralysed by the cyber attack, which hit 200,000 victims in 150 countries around the world.

Advertisement

Cyber security expert had warned hospitals would be hit

A software security expert say hospitals had left themselves open to cyber attacks because of poor practices in the NHS.

Andrew Avanessian, Vice Chair of Technology at Manchester based Avecto says the attack raises the question is there enough funding in the NHS to take cyber security seriously.

He's been telling ITV News Correspondent Elaine Willcox about some of the simple steps the NHS is failing to take to guard against malware attacks.

Hospitals in Manchester to go 'offline' for short time after cyber attack

Trafford General Hospital affected by cyber attack Credit: PA

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust confirmed Trafford Hospital was affected by yesterday's IT cyber attack.

It said its other hospitals working on the Oxford Road site have still not experienced any reported Malware incidents on their IT systems they are taking steps to protect our systems.

The CMFT says its IT system will be taken offline for a short time in a planned way. Services will be temporarily paper based but the trust says it will 'maintain business as usual'.

NHS face 'weekend of chaos' after cyber attack

Hospitals facing weekend of chaos after cyber attack Credit: PA

Hospitals and GPs surgeries across the NHS are facing a weekend of chaos as IT experts work "around the clock" to restore vital computer systems hit by a debilitating cyber attack.

Lancashire hospital trusts were among the first to be affected yesterday afternoon with operations and appointments cancelled for patients at up to 40 trusts in England and Scotland hit by the ransomware.

The Government and NHS bosses are facing growing questions over why hospitals were after claims preventative measures could have been taken "months ago".

Other health organisations shut down servers as a precautionary measure leaving hospitals and GP surgeries with a backlog of postponed appointments to deal with.

Warning to NHS staff using computers Credit: PA

The spread of the malware is thought to have been stopped after two cyber security researchers stumbled upon a "kill switch" in the malware code, but that is cold comfort for organisations in the more than 70 countries affected.

Accoridng to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), the computer virus has hit "thousands of organisations and individuals in dozens of countries".

The NHS in Lancashire say the IT issue is 'ongoing' affecting NHS computer systems across Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre.

NHS services are open and operating as normal but patients are being asked to only visit the A&E department at Blackpool Victoria Hospital in urgent and emergency situations.

The Walk-In Centre on Whitegate Drive and Same Day Health Centre in Fleetwood will treat urgent but non life-threatening illnesses and injuries as normal.

The NHS 111 helpline is available for medical advice for non urgent conditions.

Load more updates