There's a warning 650 thousand people in the North West at high risk of Type 2 diabetes, according to a new report published.Read the full story ›
Comedy tweets have been flooding in after a giant hole appears on the Mancunian Way.Read the full story ›
A huge hole has appeared in Mancunian way. Manchester City council say it's currently closed in both directions due to a collapse in the road caused by the extremely wet weather.
The section affected is between the Macdonald Hotel near Piccadilly Station and Fairfield Street.
It is thought a culvert beneath the Mancunian Way has been eroded by the heavy rain fall, which has cause the road above to be impacted.
City council and united utilities officers are currently at the scene to assess the situation. Depending on the extent of the issue the road may remain closed over the weekend.
Traffic will be diverted via London Road, Fairfield Street, A665, Hyde Road and Downing Street.
One lane closed and queueing traffic due to flooding on M62 Westbound between J19 A6046 (Heywood) and J18 M60 / M66 (Simister Island).
Simon Haughton sent us these on Twitter after his road became flooded in Middleton. Send us your pictures to email@example.com or tweet @granadareports
Two lanes closed and queueing traffic due to accident on M6 Northbound between J31A B6242 (Longridge) and J32 M55 (Broughton Interchange)
A57(M) Mancunian Way Eastbound closed, queueing traffic due to flooding between A56 Chester Road / A57 Dawson Street / B5218 Chorlton Road (Chester Road Roundabout) and A635 Mancunian Way / A6 Downing Street / A6 London Road, congestion on A57 Regent Road to Gloucester Street and on A6042 Trinity Way to B5225 Prince's Bridge / B5225 Hampson Street. Police directing traffic.
There's a warning for drivers to take extra care on the roads this morning Josh O'Neil from Oldham sent us this video of his journey. A number of service
- MANCHESTER METROLINK - Service suspended on Manchester Metrolink between Manchester Airport and Trafford Bar, and between East Didsbury and Trafford Bar due to flooding at Firswood.
- FIRST TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS - Delays of up to 25 minutes on First Transpennine Express between Manchester Piccadilly and Stalybridge due to flooding at Gorton.
- NORTHERN RAIL: Delays of up to 25 minutes on Northern Rail between Manchester Piccadilly and Stalybridge due to flooding.
Heavy rain is causing big problems across the North West today. Please check before you travel and check back here for updates.
- M56 SHARSTON LINK - EASTBOUND - GREATER MANCHESTER, One lane blocked and very slow traffic due to accident on M56 Sharston Link Eastbound at J2 A560 / B5168 (Sharston), congestion on M56 to J4 (Wythenshawe) Lane two (of two) closed. Affecting traffic heading towards M60.
- Mancunian Way eastbound, heading from Salford towards Ardwick, has been closed due to flooding.
The highways agency have announced plans for more so-called smart motorways in the North West.
Work is already ongoing on the M60 and 62 as part of £1.5bn worth of investment over an 80 mile stretch. Details of 7 new projects to start by 2020 will be announced later. The smart motorway schemes will use the latest technology to monitor traffic levels and variable speed limits will keep vehicles moving. The hard shoulder will also be converted into extra lanes.
In the short term it means delays and lower speed limits for drivers as improvements are made.