Live updates

Book of Condolence opened for Oldham MP

The veteran Labour MP for Oldham West and Royton died aged 75 Credit: PA

Oldham Council will open a Book of Condolence today for the late MP Michael Meacher.

The 75 year old who was an Honorary Freeman of the Borough and MP for Oldham West and Royton died after a short illness. He had been an MP since 1970.

A Book of Condolence will be placed at the Civic Entrance at Oldham Council and at Royton Town Hall during normal opening hours.

People can also pay tribute at an online Book of Condolence. The Borough Flag at Oldham Civic Centre will fly at half-mast on the day of the funeral.


Double stabbing in Oldham

Police are investigating after a double stabbing in Oldhmam. Two men, both in their 20's were walking on Red Hall Street in the early hours of Monday when a man stabbed them in the back and legs after trying to steal one of their bags.

Both were taken to hospital and were treated for non-life threatening injuries. A 23-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody.

Detective Sergeant Laura Crossley said: “Although an arrest has been made, we are still keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the assault.”

Police release names of Oldham men killed in Scotland

Two men from Greater Manchester who died in a motorway crash in Scotland have been named.

21-year-old Tosief Ahmed and 22-year-old Asad Majeed died at the scene Credit: MEN Syndication

21-year-old Tosief Ahmed and 22-year-old Asad Majeed died at the scene after their car crashed into the column of a bridge near Gretna.

Both men are from Oldham and Police Scotland say their relatives have been told.

Man charged over fatal stabbing in Oldham

Credit: ITV NEWS

A man has been charged with murder following a fatal stabbing in Oldham.

19-year-old Tommy Bilton was stabbed on Ashton Road in the early hours of Saturday August 15 and died in hospital late that day. A 23-year-old man was stabbed in the same incident and remains in hospital with serious injuries.

23-year-old Matthew Gregory of Horsedge street in Oldham has been charged with murder, section 18 assault and violent disorder. He has been remanded into custody to appear before Oldham Magistrates’ Court on Friday August 21.

Tributes left for Tommy Bilton on Ashton Road Credit: ITV NEWS


Second arrest over fatal stabbing in Oldham

Credit: ITV News

Police investigating a fatal stabbing in Oldham have made a second arrest.

The incident happened in the early hours of Saturday August 15 on Ashton Road where two men were found with stab wounds.

One of the victims later died and a murder investigation was launched while the other remains in hospital with serious injuries.

On Monday a 23-year-old man was arrested in Newcastle on suspicion of murder and attempted murder and he remains in custody.

Anybody with information should contact police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Missing 14-year-old girl found but abductor still at large

Credit: GMP

A missing 14-year-old girl has been found safe and well in Spain. Camilia Lupu was reported missing from her home in Oldham on Friday 26 June 2015.

Yesterday, Monday 13 July 2015, Camilia handed herself in to police in the Almerian Province of Spain as a direct result of the media coverage generated in the UK last Friday, 10 July 2015.

The 37-year-old Romanian national called Alin Coman, who she was believed to be travelling with, remains wanted by Greater Manchester Police on suspicion of child abduction.

Credit: GMP

Coman is described as white, Romanian, around 1.8 m tall, slim build with short, dark receding hair and a mole in the middle of his forehead.

Obviously everyone is delighted with the news that Camilia is safe, well and under the protection of the Spanish police.

Greater Manchester Police is now working with the Spanish authorities and social services in the United Kingdom to bring her home. I would like to personally thank those members of the media who assisted us with the appeal, as a direct result of that coverage a young girl has escaped potential harm and will hopefully now be returned home safely.

– Detective Inspector Mark McDowall

Anyone with information of Coman’s whereabouts is asked to call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Can you help? Wanted sex offender believed in Manchester

Credit: GMP

Francis Patrick Doherty, 61 from Burnley, is wanted for breaching of his notification requirements by not informing police of his current address in May. As a result, his licence was revoked and he is now being recalled to prison.

The last sighting of Doherty reported to police was at Spring Gardens Post Office in Manchester on Saturday 13 June 2015.

He is also known to have connections to Oldham and Rochdale having visited the areas previously and so he is believed to possibly be in the Greater Manchester area.

Doherty’s last conviction was in 2014, also for failing to inform police of his address. He was originally sentenced for the sexual assault of a boy at Burnley Crown Court in May 2005.

I am asking anyone who may have seen or knows of the whereabouts of Francis Patrick Doherty to get in touch with the police immediately.

He has not been in touch with the officers who monitor him as per his notification requirements for well over a month which is simply unacceptable.

We take any breach of notification requirements very seriously and are continuing to try and find him.

I would also urge Doherty himself, if he sees this appeal, to hand himself in to the police.

– Andy Ashworth from the East Dangerous and Sexual Offenders Unit

Aside from Manchester, Doherty also has links to Lancashire including Accrington, Bacup and Haslingden. He tends to move around sleeping on friend’s sofas.

Load more updates