Live updates

97-year-old woman with dementia attacked and robbed in care home break in

Police have released images of a man they want to speak to Credit: Greater Manchester Police
Credit: Dave Brown ITV Granada
Credit: Dave Brown, ITV Granada

Police are hunting for a robber who broke into a care home in Leigh and attached a 97-year-old woman with dementia.

The victim’s bedroom was one of three broken into during the horrific incident on Battersby street in Leigh.

She suffered minor injuries, but police say they could have been much worse.

It is believed that the break-in happened sometime between 4am and 7am on Saturday morning.

Police have now released an image of the man they believe is responsible for the robbery, and are hoping the public can help identify him.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Ellison, Territorial Commander for the Wigan Borough said: "How someone could sink so low as to break into a care home is beyond me. My thoughts are with the lady, I am so glad her injuries weren't more serious.

"We are keen to identify the man in the CCTV. He is seen to be riding a bicycle and carrying a suitcase that we believe was stolen from one of the rooms.

"We have stepped up patrols in the area as our investigation continues.

"Anyone who saw anyone acting suspicious in the area last night or may have any idea who this man could be, is asked to contact police as soon as possible."

Watch: Father who lost son urges people to say no to gun violence

The father of a young man who was shot and killed nine years ago this month says he still misses him terribly.

Halton McCollin died after being targeted at a takeaway inManchester in January 2008.

His father is speaking out in the hope his killers will be found -as Greater Manchester Police launch a firearms awareness week.

This from our correspondent Ashley Derricott

Advertisement

Teenage girls missing from home in Southport

Danielle Littlewood & Ellie Pritchard Credit: Merseyside Police

Merseyside Police are becoming increasingly concerned for the whereabouts of two girls from Southport who have been missing from home since Friday.

Ellie Pritchard, aged 14, and Danielle Littlewood, aged 13, are both from Southport and didn't go to school yesterday. They were last seen at 6.30pm at Southport Train Station.

Extensive enquiries are being carried out to find the girls, who may have travelled together to the Bradford area of West Yorkshire.

Ellie is described as white, 5ft 5in tall, of medium build, with blue eyes and shoulder length blonde hair. When last seen, she was wearing a black coat, white t-shirt, black leggings and black shoes.

Danielle is described as white, 5ft 6in tall, of medium build, with long, light brown straight hair. When last seen, she was wearing her school uniform, a grey blazer over a green shirt.

Both girls are believed to have been frequenting the Allerton and Brown Royds areas of Bradford.

Telephone scam leaves 72-year-old £1300 out of pocket

Police in Greater Manchester are warning members of the public not to be taken in by a telephone scam which has left a 72-year-old victim hundreds of pounds out of pocket.

The scam, which sees unsuspecting members of the public receive telephone calls from people claiming to be from HMRC, has already conned a 72-year-old woman out of £1300 and officers fear more victims may have been taken in but not yet reported it to police.

The woman from Beswick, North Manchester, bought £1300 of iTunes vouchers from Asda and Currys after receiving one of these calls from an unknown offender.

She then called the offender back and gave him the voucher codes in an effort to pay back a debt she had never owed.

It was only after the victim told a family member did she realise that she had been tricked.

Constable Amanda Simmonds said: “This scam is the work of a cruel and heartless confidence trickster and we would like to warn the public not be taken in.

“We know of one case already, but it is incredibly likely that she is not the only person to have been contacted by this offender or offenders.

If you receive an unsolicited call from someone purporting to be from HMRC or the tax office and asking for payment of a debt you did not know you owed, treat this with the utmost suspicion."

Man in 90s attacked and burgled in Oldham

Police are hunting for a burglar after a man in his 90s was attacked in his own home in Oldham.

The man was was asleep in his lounge at his home on Rochdale Road in Shaw at around 4.20pm on Friday when he was awoken by noises.

He went into his bedroom, where he saw a man climbing through the window.

The man pushed the victim and he banged his head on the floor, before stepping over him and looking around the rest of the house. He returned a few minutes later, climbed back through the window, and fled.

The offender is described as white, in his twenties, about 5ft 8in tall, of slim build, with short/medium length black hair. He was dark clothing and a hooded top with the hood up and trainers. He spoke with a local accent.

Police have launched an investigation and are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

Detective Constable Nichola Chapman of GMP’s Oldham Borough said: “This was a heartless attack on a vulnerable man who, fortunately wasn’t seriously injured, but he was understandably extremely distressed.

It is not clear if the offender stole anything, but this does not detract from the fact that an elderly man was targeted in his own home and I would urge you to come forward if you have any information.

If you saw a man matching that description in the area at the time please get in touch with police and tell us what you know.”

Advertisement

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: Police officer seriously injured in knife attack

It happened on a quiet street in Lancashire. Eyewitnesses have told ITV News how a 'massive' police response arrived at the scene moments after one of their own was attacked with a knife. He suffered serious injuries to the torso and face.

Police say the officer has now been discharged from hospital.

Load more updates