Live updates

Picture timeline of events leading up to murder

Rania sets out with children to meet her brother in law Credit: Greater Manchester Police

• 5pm – Muhaned calls Rania to confirm she is bringing the children to his flat for him to see

• 6.40pm – Rania and her children seen on CCTV leaving her house in Cheetham Hill

• 7.28pm – Rania and her children seen on CCTV getting off a bus on Chapel Street, Salford

Rania Alayed arriving at Arthur Milwood court Credit: Greater Manchester Police

• 7.31pm – Rania and her children arrive at Arthur Millwood Court

• 8.19pm – Muhaned and Rania’s children leave Arthur Millwood Court

Rania was almost certainly murdered in the proceeding 45 minutes, while the children were in the flat

Muhanned Al-Kathib leaves Arthur Milwood court with Rania's children Credit: Greater Manchester Police

• 8.36pm – Muhaned and children arrive at their grandparents house on Knutsford Road, Gorton

• 12.01am – Muhaned leaves Arthur Millwood Court with a tent in a holdall, probably used later to either conceal them digging Rania’s grave or to lay her body out on it

Brother-in-law leaves with tent in holdall Credit: Greater Manchester Police

• 1.17am Khatib, Muhaned and Hussain set off in the campervan, containing Rania’s body in a red suitcase

• 3.10am The campervan triggers an ANPR camera on the A19 near Thirsk

• 4.54am – The campervan triggers another ANPR camera on the A1, heading south, presumably after the body was buried

Red suitcase used to carry her body in campervan Credit: Greater Manchester Police


Rania trial hears more evidence from uncle

Rania Alayed's husband claimed she had "done a runner with another man" after "beating her children", the court heard.

The dead mother's uncle, Ali Aydi, said that her husband, Ahmed Al-Khatib, claimed Rania had abandoned her three youngsters after hitting them.

Mr Aydi said Ahmed insisted he had caught his wife having an affair, and that she fled to Turkey with "another man".

Mr Aydi said he "did not believe" any of it, thinking it was part of a "cover-up".

He described his niece as a "delicate, soft-hearted mother" who loved her children.

Ahmed Al-Khatib, from Gorton, Manchester, denies his wife's murder.

She disappeared in June 2013. Her body has never been found.

Rania "raped and beaten", court told.

The uncle of a dead mother-of-three, whose body has never been found, has told a court that he believed her husband "could harm her".

Ali Aydi, from Sheffield, told jurors at Manchester Crown Court that Rania Alayed described being raped and beaten within her marriage to Ahmed Al-Khatib.

Giving evidence with the assistance of a translator, her uncle told the jury: "Rania spoke about beating marks on her body and was mentally distressed about it.

"She would cry...insisting that she wanted a divorce.

"She said Ahmed could harm her."

Rania, 25, from Cheetham Hill in Manchester, vanished in June last year.

Prosecutors say her husband and his brother, Muhaned Al-Khatib, murdered the young mother because she sought independence and was becoming "too westernised".


  1. Rob Smith

Husband restrained in court after outburst at Rania trial

A husband who says he killed his wife in self-defence because she appeared as an "evil apparition" has grabbed an interpreter by the neck and shook him against the dock wall at Manchester Crown Court.

Ahmed Al-Khatib had to be restrained after the outburst, as prosecutors outlined their case against him.

He is accused of murdering Rania Alayed because she was becoming "westernised" and trying to end their "violent" marriage. Her body has never been found.

Rania Alayed Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Ahmed denies the charge, claiming he is mentally ill.

Jurors were told his defence case states he is subject to hallucinations and that he saw his wife turn into an "evil apparition" called a "jinn", which advanced upon him.

He says he struck the apparition in self defence.

His lawyers say they will provide expert evidence about the place of "jinns" within Islam.

  1. Rob Smith

Rania jury hears mobile phone was sent to Turkey

The mobile phone of a dead mother-of-three from Manchester was sent to Turkey to "give the impression" she was still alive, say prosecutors.

Rania's brother-in-law, Muhaned Al-Khatib, gave the device to a female friend of his who did not want to take her own phone on a foreign holiday.

A jury heard he provided the dead mother's mobile, describing it as his, on condition that a text message in Arabic be sent from Turkey.

  1. Rob Smith

Breakdown mechanic says campervan had 'rancid smell'

A breakdown mechanic says a campervan, which prosecutors state was used to dump the body of a mother-of-three, had a "rancid smell".

Rania Alayed Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Rania Alayed, from Manchester, vanished in June 2013. Her husband, Ahmed Al-Khatib, and brother-in-law, Muhaned Al-Khatib are accused of murdering her because they believed she was becoming "westernised".

Jurors at the city's Crown Court heard that the men drove her remains to a road layby in North Yorkshire, where they buried her. But the prosecution say, as they returned to Manchester, their vehicle broke down and Muhaned called the AA.

Recovery worker, Richard Sheardown, described a "stench" when he opened the back of the vehicle. Another member of AA staff also noticed an awful smell.

Ahmed and Munhaned Al-Khatib deny murder. A third defendant, Hussain Al-Khatib, denies perverting the course of justice over the alleged hiding of her body.

  1. Rob Smith

A neighbour of Rania's brother-in-law heard shouting, banging and then screaming on evening prosecutors she was murdered

A neighbour of Rania's brother-in-law heard shouting, banging and then screamingon the evening prosecutors say the mother-of-three was murdered at Muhaned Al-Khatib's flat.

Jurors heard that CCTV cameras captured Rania's husband, Ahmed Al-Khatib, leaving the flat wearing some of her clothes less than an hour after the killing.

This was a "deception that Rania Alayed was alive", they were told, because "minutes later, the body was being transported in a suitcase".

The trial has adjourned for the day and will resume tomorrow morning.

Load more updates