Live updates

Rochdale fraudsters payed for expensive lifestyle using other peoples cards

Amitab Ali was one of four people sentenced for defrauding people and companies of over £25,000 Credit: PA

Four men and women from Rochdale have been sentenced after defrauding people and several companies out of over £25,000.

Victoria Ahmed and Amitab Ali both pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud and fraud by false representation and Tariq Mohammed and Jade Wasley both pleaded guilty to fraud by false representation.

Over a six month period, Ahmed and Ali used credit card details belonging to others to hire cars, buy a Honda car from a salesman, stay in hotel rooms, buy food and drink, pay for taxi fares, etc.

In total, over £22,000 was spent on other peoples' credit cards. Ahmed, Ali and Mohammed also defrauded an insurance company out of £3367 during a ‘cash for crash’ insurance fraud.

Both Ali and Ahmed spent thousands, living the lifestyle they thought they deserved, using other people’s credit card details.

They were found out when they were arrested and whilst searching their house car parts were delivered that they had bought using other people's credit cards.

– Police Constable Andrew Butcher from the Fraud Investigation Team

All were sentenced yesterday at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.

Escaped llama 'recovering well' at home

Calista the llama escaped last week Credit: MEN Syndication

A llama who escaped from a farm in Littleborough last week is recovering well, after she caused chaos for dozens of motorists.

Calista the llama escaped from her field after being scared by a dog. After running around the town for six hours, she was returned home and is recuperating.

Owner Dan Taylor said: :“She was very frightened. I would really urge dog owners not to let their animals out loose in the area"

Calista and owner Dan Taylor Credit: MEN Syndication

Advertisement

Rochdale MP says child sex abuse inquiry was 'mishandled' from the start

Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk says the Home Secretary has mishandled the sex abuse inquiry from the beginning. It comes as reports claim Theresa May could disband the panel set up to run the public child sex abuse investigation in the New Year. It was set up in light of recent scandals like the grooming ring in Rochdale which saw a number of men jailed for preying on young girls.

The MP also told Granada Reports that despite rumours he was defecting to UKIP after a meeting with Nigel Farage he was sticking solidly with Labour.

Read more here.

Advertisement

Two men rob wheelchair user in his own home

CCTV footage of a man wanted in connection with a robbery in Rochdale Credit: PA

A 19-year-old man living in Rochdale was robed in his own home at around 8.20pm on Wednesday October 29.

The young man heard a bang and a window smash, when he opened the door, he came face to face with two men holding batons. They robed him of his money and left.

Police have now released CCTV footage of a man wanted in connection with the robbery.

The victim suffered a tragic accident meaning he now needs to use a wheelchair and crutches to support himself. We believe the men have deliberately targeted him because of this and have made threats to return. Understandably the victim has been left upset by the incident and feared for his safety.

– Scott Britton, Police Constable

Anyone with information should phone police on 0161 856 8549 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Priest accused of historic sexual abuse allegations

Canon Mortimer Stanley. Credit: Manchester Evening News.

A Catholic priest has been charged with a string of sex offences dating back 30 years.

Canon Mortimer Stanley returned to Greater Manchester from his home in Ireland to face the allegations at Bury Magistrates court today.

The Crown Prosecution Service authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Canon Stanley, 82, after complaints by former pupils at a Rochdale school.

He is accused of 17 charges of indecent assault on a girl under 14 between 1977 and 1988.

The allegations involve ten victims. All the alleged victims were pupils at St Vincent’s Primary School, which has been historically linked to the parish.

Canon Stanley, who joined the church as a parish priest in 1972, retired to his native Ireland in 2002.

Load more updates