Live updates

Report clears police of brutality towards anti-fracking activists at Barton Moss

An independent report has cleared police of brutality in dealing with anti-fracking protestors at Barton Moss in Salford.

It says Greater Manchester Police must improve the way it handles major demonstrations.

But protestors say the report is a whitewash - their solicitor argues most of the people arrested by officers went on to have all charges dropped against them.

This report from Tim Scott:

Detective - it's a "shocking and tragic case"

This is a shocking and tragic case, and one that will undoubtedly have a lasting psychological impact upon the poor victim.

“Excellent policing work has gone into tracking down two of the youths we believe to be responsible for this sickening attack, but it is imperative that we try and track down the third man as quickly as possible.

“If you believe you saw a man matching this description in the area at the time, or if you recognise this man, do not protect him, please contact police as soon as possible.”

– DETECTIVE SERGEANT ROGER SMETHURST, GREATER MANCHESTER POLICE

Advertisement

Youth in court after mugging victim loses baby

The 17-year-old accused, who cannot be named because of his age, appeared in court charged with robbery and was remanded into custody to appear at Manchester Crown Court on October 30.

The youth, wearing a grey tracksuit top and bottoms, pleaded not guilty to robbery.

His jaw dropped open and his mother, sitting in the public gallery, held her hands to her face as the court was told the youth could face up to 10 years in jail if he is convicted of the offence.

An application for bail was refused.

The court heard the victim was waiting to catch a bus to work on Cromwell Road in Eccles, Salford, at around 5.55am on Saturday when she was approached by three youths.

She struggled to keep hold of her bag, containing £170, but was overpowered and after the robbery she noticed she was bleeding.

She then went to hospital and was told she had miscarried.

Teenager hunted as pregnant woman loses baby during mugging

A CCTV image of the suspect. Credit: Greater Manchester Police

A pregnant woman lost her unborn baby after she was robbed at a bus stop in Greater Manchester.

The victim was sitting at the stop in Cromwell Road, Salford, when she was approached and attacked by three teenagers who stole her handbag, said Greater Manchester Police.

The incident took place at about 5.45am on Saturday.

Police have released a CCTV image of a suspected offender, described as white and aged between 16 and 20-years-old.

He was wearing a black hoody with white stripes down the arms, a black body warmer with a white motif and dark tracksuit bottoms.

Earlier a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with robbery.

A second boy, also aged 17, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and remains in custody for questioning.

CCTV images released after men steal pensioners car and wallet

CCTV image

Police have released CCTV of two men they want to speak to after thieves broke into the home of a pensioner in Salford and stole his car and his debit cards.

The cards were then used to make numerous cash withdrawals. Police have now issued pictures of two men captured on using one of the stolen cards to buy goods from the Tesco store in Pendleton.

The break-in happened at the man's home on Light Oaks Road, Irlams O'Th Height, between 10pm and 10:20pm on 9 September 2014. The man returned home to find thieves had broken in through an unsecured patio door and stolen the car keys to his Nissan Micra, the car itself, and his wallet. However, the following morning the victim found the car had been returned and parked outside his home.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously,

"While the victim's car has been returned, he has still been faced with the trauma of someone breaking into his home, rifling through his belongings and then using his debit cards to withdraw cash.

"Anyone who has been a victim of this sort of crime will sympathise with the anger, frustration and upset this man is feeling at the thought of criminals spending his hard-earned money.

"We have captured the images of two men on CCTV who were caught using one of the stolen cards and I would ask people to look very carefully at the images we have issued and if you think you recognise these two men then please come forward and talk to us."

– Police Constable Stephen Houg
CCTV image

Advertisement

Fresh appeal after 17 year old boy raped

Police are making a fresh appeal for witnesses after a 17-year-old boy was raped as he walked through a park in Salford.

Officers believe the attack happened between 12.10am and 12.42am on Wednesday 8 October, in Buille Hill Park, in the Eccles area. The victim was approached by two men, who then pushed him to the ground and raped him.

The men, described as white and in their late twenties, were both wearing shorts and hoodies with the hoods up. One of them had blonde hair and was wearing glasses.

I would like to make a direct appeal to anyone who may have been walking in Buille Hill park between 11pm and 1am.

We understand that the park is popular with dog walkers and I would ask anyone who was walking their dog in the park at the time of the incident to contact us, even if you don’t think you have any relevant information.

This is a very serious incident, which has left a boy traumatised, and I would urge anyone with information to contact police immediately.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Clare Devlin

Teenage solider from Eccles admits making a nail bomb

A teenage rifleman has admitted making a nail bomb.

Ryan McGee pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to two charges, one of possessing the Anarchists Cook Book contrary to terror laws, and one of making an explosive device.

The 19-year-old, from Eccles, was bailed at the Old Bailey to be sentenced on a date to-be-fixed.

The first charge states that between May 31 2013 and November 29 2013 at Salford in Greater Manchester he possessed a document containing information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

The second charge states that between September 1 2013 and September 3 2013 at Salford he made an explosive device.

Salford cabbie is 'local hero in our thoughts and prayers.' Message from Greater Manchester Mosques

Hostage Alan Henning called 'local hero' in statement from Mosques

Mosques throughout Greater Manchester are delivering a joint message calling for the release of the man they're calling their 'local hero' Alan Henning, the Salford taxi driver, being held by Islamic State.

Alan who's 47 was kidnapped in December while he was delivering aid in Syria.

Earlier this week more than 150 people attended a vigil in Bolton appealing for his safe return.

The message to be read at Friday prayers says Mr Henning is a local hero and appeals to those holding him to have understanding, compassion and mercy.

The joint statement is signed by a number of Mosques and groups in Greater Manchester.

‘We believe it is important to appeal for the release of a courageous humanitarian Alan Henning and for his family to know they are in our thoughts and prayers.’’

– Qadir Ahmad Chohan Welfare officer Manchester Central Mosque

‘It is important for a clear message to be sent to those holding Alan Henning that he is our local hero who as a sincere and caring humanitarian went to the region to help the Syrian people in their hour of need. We want the family to know that Alan Henning is in our thoughts and we pray for his safe and speedy return.’

– Imam Assim Manchester Central Mosque will read out statement at Friday prayers
Load more updates