A report by the Children's Commissioner for England has found that pupils in the North West are less likely to do well in secondary school.Read the full story ›
A number of schools are closed as the 'Beast from the East' hits the North West.
See below for a list of confirmed school closures.
- Blessed Trinity RC College
- Briercliffe Primary School
- Burnley Lowerhouse Junior School
- Burnley St James' Lanehead Church of England Primary School
- Burnley St Peter's Church of England Primary School
- Hameldon Community College
- Igtenhill Nursery School
- Sir John Thursby Community College
- Accrington Green Haworth Church of England School
- Accrington Huncoat Primary School
- Accrington Lea Royd Nursery School
- Acrrington St Peter's Church of England Primary School
- Accrington Woodnook Primary School
- Balderstone St Leonard's Church of England Primary School
- Bolton by Bowland CofE Voluntary Aided Primary School
- Brennand's Endowed Primary School
- Broadfield Specialist School for Sen (Cognition and Learning)
- Gisburn Primary School
- Great Harwood St Bartholomew's Parish CofE Va Primary School
- Gridleton Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School
- Oswaldtwistle School
- Oswaldtwistle White Ash School
- Sabden Primary School
- St Mary's Roman Catholic Primary School, Osbaldeston
- St Oswald's Roman Catholic Primary School, Accrington
- The Hollins
- Thorneyholme Roman Catholic Primary School, Dunsop Bridge
- Barnoldswick Coates Lane Primary School
- Barnoldswick CofE Voluntary Controlled Primary School
- Brierfield Woodfield Nursery School
- Hendon Brook School
- Laneshaw Bridge Primary School
- Lomeshaye Junior School
- Marsden Community Primary School
- Nelson Walverden Primary School
- Reedley Primary School
- St John Fisher and Thomas More Roman Catholic High School, Colne
- St Francis' Catholic Primary School. Goosnargh
- Alder Grange School
- Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School
- Bacup Holy Trinity Stacksteads Church of England Primary School
- Bacup St Mary's Roman Catholic Primary School
- Balladen Community Primary School
- Haslingden Hillside Nursery School
- Haslingden St James Church of England Primary School
- Sharneyford Primary School
- St Anne's Edgeside Church of England Primary School
- St James-the-Less Roman Catholic Primary School. Rawtenstall
- St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School. Stacksteads. Bacup
- St Mary's Rawtenstall Church of England Primary School
- St Paul's Church of England Primary School, Rawtenstall
- St Peter's Roman Catholic Primary School. Newchurch
- Water Primary School
- Elleray Park School, Wirral
- Foxfield School, Wirral
- Abbot's Lea School, Woolton
- Upton Hall, Wirral
- Prestwich Arts College
- Waterhead Academy, Oldham
- Crompton Primary School, Oldham
- Alexandra Park School, Oldham
- Buckton Vale Primary, Stalybridge
- Park Lane School, Macclesfield
Manchester primary school pupils have drawn up a unique Peace Plan for their schools.Read the full story ›
Local authorities across the region are blaming Government cuts on the appalling condition of some of their school buildings.
The head of Didsbury Road Primary in Stockport Lee Hardy says his school desperately needs rebuilding.
But a 120- million pound black hole in funding means they're forced to put up with costly repairs instead
Odin the Raven visits St Mary's RC Primary School to deliver new sports equipmentRead the full story ›
A number of schools have closed across the North West due to the poor weather. Get the details here.Read the full story ›
Angela Rayner - a care worker and Unison regional convenor for the North West joined Elaine Willcox tonight in the Granada Reports studio:-
Public sector workers say they are the forgotten army which provides vital services like teaching, waste collection, firefighting and protecting the vulnerable.
Today many thousands of them took to the streets right across our region in a strike over their pay.
The Government says striking only disrupts people's lives. Many parents left to cover childcare say it's unfair.
Our correspondent Rachel Townsend reports:
Thousands of people across the North West have gone out on strike today in the biggest walk out in decades.
Public sector workers are protesting over pay, pensions and cutbacks.
Rachel Townsend reports from Manchester city centre.