Live updates

Man jailed for 12 years for sexually abusing children in Bolton

Warren Kirkb has been sentenced to 12 years for sexually abusing children. Credit: GMP

A man who sexually abused children in Bolton has been jailed for 12 years today at Bolton Crown Court.

Warren Kirkby 62, of Westleigh Lane, Leigh pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to a range of sexual offences, including indecency with a child, indecent assault on a child, and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

Between 1977 and 2006 Kirkby sexually abused four girls, some of whom were aged five and six, at the time the abuse started.

Kirkby’s offending came to light when one of the victims called police and made a report against Kirkby of sexual abuse in June 2014.

“Firstly, I want to commend the victims’ bravery for supporting our investigations, during what has been a difficult time. The effect this has had on them has been profound, but with their help, we have been able to ensure Kirkby is behind bars and cannot prey on any more young girls.“This has been a difficult and harrowing enquiry that has taken three years for justice to finally be found for these victims.

“Kirkby is a sexual predator who abused children for decades. This sentence reflects the fact that if you commit serious sexual offences, time will not be a hiding place and eventually you will be caught.”

– Detective Constable Stuart Round of GMP’s Bolton Borough

Advertisement

Barry Bennell rushed to hospital after being found unconscious

The former coach was found not breathing at a hotel on Friday night. Credit: PA

Former Crewe Alexandra coach Barry Bennell, who is at the centre of the football abuse scandal, has been rushed to hospital after he was found unconscious in a hotel room.

The former coach, who was previously jailed for abusing young football players, was discovered at a hotel in Stevenage late on Friday night.

Bennell, 62, was taken to hospital where he remains. His condition is not known.

Police officers attended an address in Knebworth Park, Stevenage just before 11pm on Friday in connection with a fear for welfare incident.

A 62-year-old man was located and was taken to hospital in order to receive medical treatment, where he remains.

– Thames Valley Police spokesman

Rochdale abuse victim speaks of relief after finally getting justice

A victim of sexual abuse in Rochdale has spoken of her relief that her abuser is now behind bars.

Hannah Smith waived her right to anonymity to speak about the abuse she received.

Advertisement

75-year-old jailed for sexually abusing 13-year-old girl

Credit: GMP

Seventy five-year-old grandfather Maurice McCullough from Manchester has been jailed for ten years for sexually abusing a thirteen-year-old girl from Merseyside he'd groomed after speaking to her on an internet chatroom.

The judge at Liverpool crown court said it was one of the worst cases he'd had to deal with in twenty five years. Our correspondent Ralph Blunsom has this report:

Karen Danczuk reveals the suffering behind the selfies

Credit: PA

Karen Danczuk has said her social network selfies are a defiant response to sexual abuse she suffered as a child.

The 31-year-old wife of Labour MP Simon Danczuk told The Sun newspaper she had been abused from the age of six, but regained her confidence after seeking counselling on the advice of her husband.

Herself a Labour councillor in Rochdale, she has attracted headlines for her regular posting of selfies on Twitter and recently also claimed the party's deputy leader Harriet Harman told her she was "too pretty" for politics.

For years afterwards I felt worthless, guilty, as though I had somehow brought this on myself. But I was just a little girl. I was on anti-depressants for years and wanted to kill myself.

But my husband Simon encouraged me to have therapy and now - after intensive counselling - I have been able to get some confidence back.

– Karen Danczuk, Labour councillor in Rochdale

She says she is now free to 'have fun without feeling ashamed' and that is the reason she posts so many pictures on twitter. But she said she had not reported the abuse to police because she did not "want to take a step back".

Watch: Abuse victim calls for better sex education

A woman from Manchester who was abused by a family member as a child is calling for better sex education in schools.

'Emma' who wanted to remain anonymous said she didn't know it wasn't normal is working with a young persons charity to teach children about consent. The 23 year old has been working with charity FIXERS to make the following video.

Man charged after child sexual abuse at a primary school

A man has been charged as part of an investigation into child sexual abuse at a primary school in Oldham.

The investigation relates to the sexual assault of two boys during their time at St Martin’s primary school in Fitton Hill.

The boys were aged between seven and nine at the time of the alleged offences which took place in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Anthony Kerr who's 71 from Netherlees in Oldham has been charged with 10 counts of sexual assault. He's due to appear at Oldham Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Load more updates