Sir Paul McCartney has apologised for "letting my fans down" after cancelling his tour of Japan because of illness.
The former Beatle cancelled one show after falling ill with a virus last week but has now cancelled the whole tour.
A statement on his website said "Doctors have ordered Paul complete rest and he has been doing all he can to get better. Paul has only ever had to reschedule a handful of shows in his entire career and is so upset about this situation, he hates to let people down."
It said McCartney had wanted to perform "against doctors orders" but was convinced not to.
He said: "Thank you so much for your kind messages of support. I'm so very touched. Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight. I was really hoping that I'd be feeling better today. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."
Liverpool FC footballer Luis Suarez has spoken to Sir Paul McCartney ahead of the former Beatle's gig in Uruguay.
Suarez, who is from Uruguay, asked McCartney about his music, education and culture.
The Beatles legend will perform later in front of a crowd of around 50,000 in Montevideo.
Sir Paul McCartney is being celebrated by fellow songwriters with a special one-off prize at the NME Awards recognising his contribution to music over the past half century.
The music weekly has chosen to honour him after approaching a number of musicians who were united in naming him as being unmatchable in his craft.
He is to attend the event, to be staged on February 26 at London's O2 Academy in Brixton, to collect his Songwriter's Songwriter award.
Sir Paul McCartney has written to the Russian authorities asking them to parole members of jailed punk band Pussy Riot. It comes after one of the group threatened a hunger strike. Two group members are still serving jail sentences for a protest.
Liverpool music legend Sir Paul McCartney has conquered the charts again - coming top of the Sunday Times Rich List of musical millionaires.
The former Beatle shares a £680 million fortune with his wife Nancy Shevell, according to the researchers who put the list together.
He has topped the list of wealthy musicians every time it has been put together since 1989 when his fortune was estimated at £80 million.
At least some of his fortune comes from his wife - the heiress to a US transport firm - who is said to be worth £150 million alone.
Sir Paul is not the only entry to get a boost in their fortune from their partner - a combined fortune of £200 million puts Victoria and David Beckham in the top 10, while Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow also feature.
Andrew Lloyd Webber was second in the chart with a fortune of £620 million, followed by Irish rockers U2 with £520 million.
The full list will be published on Sunday April 21.
Sir Paul McCartney Joins ‘The Justice Collective’ Line-up For Hillsborough Tribute Single
‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother’ released 17 December.
The track also features Robbie Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, Paloma Faith, Eliza Doolittle, Melanie C and more.
‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother’ is produced by the Award-winning Guy Chambers, with all proceeds from single sales going towards the Hillsborough Families legal costs in their fight for justice.
A vintage Aston Martin DB5 previously owned by Paul McCartney is expected to fetch up to £380,000 at an auction.Read the full story ›