Live updates

Broady's Wimbledon adventure comes to an end

Credit: PA

Liam Broady's Wimbledon adventure is over for another year after the British hope was outgunned in straight sets by 16th seed David Goffin.

British tennis' soap opera family now has no representatives left in the main draw, Broady's 7-6 (7/3) 6-1 6-1 second-round defeat following sister Naomi's first-round exit.

World number 15 Goffin's superior craft and baseline acumen proved too much for Stockport's Broady, who was conceding 167 places in the rankings.

Advertisement

Liam Broady back in Wimbledon action

Liam Broady Credit: PA Images

Stockport tennis hopeful Liam Broady is in round two Wimbledon action today. The world 182 has been training hard for this years tournament - he'll take on Belgium's David Goffin at aroun 11.30 AM.

21-year-old Liam became the first Briton to reach the second round as well as the youngest British man to win a match at Wimbledon since 2008. Broady, came from two sets down to win a five-set thriller in his debut.

The player picked up £47,000 in prize money but faces a hefty fine after he was caught swearing on court.

Advertisement

Police appeal for witnesses after woman dies following collision with car in Stockport

A 93-year-old woman has died after a collision with a car in Stockport. The collision took place shortly before 2.30pm on Tuesday 23rd of June within an area in a block of flats off Gatley Road in Cheadle. The elderly lady had been walking across a car park before the collision with a Citroen Picasso which left her with serious injuries. Police Constable Philip Shaw from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit said:

“This is an absolutely tragic incident in which an elderly lady has lost her life. We are currently speaking with members of her family and supporting them as best we can at this traumatic time."

“If anyone witnessed this collision or has any information that may assist our investigation to establish the exact circumstances around what happened, please contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4742.”

– Police Constable Philip Shaw

Stockport Council to buy football club's Edgeley Park ground

Edgeley Park Credit: PA Images

Stockport Council will make an offer to buy Stockport County's Edgeley Park ground.

The Council voted unanimously to make the offer after current owners Cheshire Sports allegedly received an offer from a third party who may have chosen to knock the ground down.

Councillors praised a petition with more than 4000 signatures presented to the Council previously in the hope they would buy the ground and keep it in operation.

Masked vandals attack Stockport family home

Police are appealing for information after a man suffered a suspected heart attack after he was hounded by a gang of masked vandals who threw bricks and paint at his house.

The 68-year-old victim whose identity has not been disclosed, had to be hospitalised following the third "terrifying" attack in as many weeks on his home in Stockport which he shares with his wife and daughter.

Police have released CCTV footage of the last attack where vandals can be seen throwing bricks, smoke bombs and full cans of paint at the Hillcrest Road house in Offerton.

Greater Manchester Police have called it "a relentless campaign of abuse and vandalism" and have appealed for anyone with information on the "brazen and wanton violence" to come forward.

Detective Inspector Cheryl Hughes said:

"It is no exaggeration to say this family have suffered a terrifying campaign of abuse at the hands of this gang."

"After three attacks, they are living on their nerves in a boarded-up home in which they no longer feel safe. It is heartbreaking to think they feel so distressed in what should be the sanctity of their own home, without any clue as to why they are under repeated attack."

"Following the last attack, the man was hospitalised with a suspected heart attack and while he is recovering, clearly the stress of what he and his family have endured in recent weeks has taken an unimaginable toll on the family's lives. "

– Detective Inspector Cheryl Hughes, GMP

Last Friday five masked offenders were seen pulling up outside the house before throwing up to 15 bricks as children and parents on the school run looked on.

The gang then got back into a car - thought to be a stolen black Nissan Qashqai - before driving off.

Police believe the same offenders, described as white men or teenagers, are responsible for each attack but at this stage no motive has been established.

During the first incident on the evening of May 13 bricks were thrown through the dining room window, along with a smoke bomb.

A full can of paint was thrown inside the family car parked on the drive.

Five days later, at about 10.45pm on May 18, the family were again at their home when the second attack took place.

Black paint was thrown over the front of the house, the cloakroom and lounge windows were smashed with bricks and thrown into the house, narrowly missing a member of the family.

Ms Hughes added:

"The missiles repeatedly thrown through the windows of the house could easily have struck a member of the family, and in doing so caused very serious - or worse - injuries.

"I would therefore encourage anyone who has information about these attacks, or who may know the identity of those involved, to please do the right thing and come forward with what you know."

– Detective Inspector Cheryl Hughes, GMP

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 9987 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Load more updates