Live updates

Police watchdog to investigate death of man Tasered by police

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is to investigate the death of a man who died after being Tasered by Greater Manchester Police.

The 23-year-old Jordan Begley died in hospital a after a GMP officer discharged his Taser stun gun at the man at his home in Beard Road, Gorton last night.

GMP said they received a 999 call to say the man had been wielding a knife. The force said he suffered a "medical episode” after the Taser discharge.

IPCC investigators have been to the scene and an independent investigation has been declared.

IPCC Commissioner for Greater Manchester James Dipple-Johnstone met with the man's mother earlier. He said:

The IPCC will look at whether the use of Taser was appropriate and if all guidelines were followed by the officers at the scene. I want to extend my sympathies to the man’s family and assure them that we will carry out a robust investigation that will give them the answers they will undoubtedly want.

Boss 'may have helped' taser man

The boss of an ice cream worker who died after he was shot with a Taser said he could have prevented his death if he had been able to talk to him.

Jordan Begley suffered a "medical episode" after police fired the stun in Gorton whilst responding to a call that a man had a knife.

Jordan, 23, who lived with his mother Dorothy in Beard Road, had finished work about an hour earlier at Sivori's ice cream factory in nearby Levenshulme.

Joint owner Peter Sivori, 77, said he was driving past in his ice cream van when he saw Jordan standing outside his terraced home with police.

When I saw him he waved at me and tried to explain to the police that I was his employer so a policeman came over and asked 'is that true?' and I said it is true. The lad was pointing to me. He seemed to be in good condition then. I was stood about 30 or 40 yards away and couldn't get to him. The police said they had got a complaint. I said to the policeman do you want me to come over, and he said it's a police matter and could I move on. I thought they were quite aggressive.

He (Jordan) has always been respectful to me so I would have asked what's wrong. All I can say is that I think if I would have been able to speak to him I think I would have calmed him down. I would have tried to help the lad. I feel I could have done some good but I'm not sure. I don't know what happened in the house.

Mr Sivori drove off before the incident escalated and Mr Begley was shot.

Mr Sivori said Mr Begley had worked for him for about four years.

Greater Manchester Police have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.


Police investigate after taser death

Police guard cordon on Beard Road

A police cordon surrounds 10 terraced houses after a man was tasered and died at a property in Gorton.

A forensic tent was placed in Beard road within the cordon which is being guarded by uniformed officers, a police van and two patrol cars.

Cordon placed around property in Gorton Credit: ITV Granada

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: "Police received a 999 call reporting a disturbance on Beard Road in Gorton where there was a man with a knife.

Officers were dispatched immediately and arrived in eight minutes. On arrival, a Taser was discharged."

The dead man has been named locally as Jordan Begley.

A friend of the dead man said that eight armed response officers attended the family home last night.

"They turfed his mum outside and then went in and battered him," said the man, who did not want to be named.

"There were about eight armed response officers went in. He didn't have a knife though. I know for a fact he would not have had a knife. There was no need to use a Taser on him. I think he has some problem with his heart."

The force have referred themselves to the police watchdog,

Man dies after police shoot him with taser

Man tasered in Gorton Credit: ITV news

A man has died after police shot him with a Taser, Greater Manchester Police have said.

The 23-year-old suffered a "medical episode" and died after police fired at him with the stun gun.

Officers were responding to a disturbance in Beard Road, Gorton, in Manchester, when they used the Taser to detain the man.

Man dies after being tasered by police

A man has died after being tasered by police in Manchester.

Officers say they were called out to deal with a 23-year-old wielding a knife in Gorton last night.

A taser was fired and the man then suffered what they call a "medical episode".

His death's been reported to the coroner and police watchdog.

Location of the incident on Beard Road, Gorton, Manchester