Manchester City's manager Manuel Pellegrini says the matter should be dealt with correctly and he doesn't believe it will directly affect the player's performance.
At this stage we have received complaints about two separate tweets of a racist nature aimed at Yaya Toure and now we are informing the police.
Yaya Toure has been on Twitter for a matter of hours and he has already received abuse of an appalling nature.
We are disturbed by the fact that someone can be treated this way.
It makes footballers start to question why they should use these platforms.
We will offer Yaya Toure our full support.
On Monday evening Toure favourited a tweet from one City fan - @111Lesley111 - who offered her support to the former Barcelona player
This is not the first time Toure has been the target of racist abuse.
Last season he was subjected to racist chanting during City's Champions League game at CSKA Moscow.
"I'm not just disappointed, I'm furious," Toure said after City's 2-1 win in Russia.
"It was unbelievable and very sad."
CSKA denied Toure had been abused, but UEFA disagreed and ordered the Russian club to close part of their ground for their next Champions League match.
The police have been called to investigate claims Yaya Toure was racially abused within hours of reactivating his Twitter account. The Manchester City midfielder, rejoined following City's derby day victory over United.
He wrote: "Great to be back on twitter after a good win yesterday. Now my focus is on the next game... Happy Monday everyone!!" Within hours of posting the message, the 31-year-old received abusive and racist messages from other Twitter accounts.
It prompted fury on the social networking website which was spotted by Toure, who favourited three tweets which supported him and called for action.
Posters complained to both GMP and the Metropolitan Police on Twitter. A spokesman for GMP said it was aware of the message and would be looking into the matter further.
Toure quit Twitter during earlier this year, saying he wanted to concentrate on the World Cup.
Greater Manchester Police is giving members of the public a glimpse behind the scenes of the force today. For the next 24 hours they will tweeting all the calls received as well as providing an insight into some of the most challenging work. It takes place exactly four years after the very first GMP Twitter Day.
The 24 hours will see:
- Details of all 3,000+ calls being tweeted as they happen
- The GMP Facebook account will be ‘taken over’ by officers providing details of how cases are investigated
- Video updates from officers working in complex areas such as public protection and negotiators
- Two community reporters will provide updates from custody and a response patrol
- Updates throughout the day from the 101 local police Twitter and Facebook accounts
“Since we held our first Twitter day in 2010 the force has shrunk by 1,400 officers and it has become more of a challenge to maintain the service to the public.
“Four years ago, people were surprised by the range of incidents we have to deal with and these have not changed. More of our work is about protecting vulnerable people, targeting those who abuse them and dealing with the consequences of entrenched social problems.
“We have a tremendous workforce that every day shows great dedication, patience and compassion. Our staff have great concern about the consequences of further reductions that we will face over coming years. We will need greater support from the public and continued changes to the way we work to get through this.”
To follow what happens during the 24 hours people should check out the Twitter accounts @gmpday14_1, @gmpday14_2, @gmpday14_3 and @gmpday14_4 that will be used for the calls. Further details will be circulated on the force main Twitter account @gmpolice and Facebook GtrManchesterPolice, and if you are not on social media you can find it on the website www.gmp.police.uk
But simply follow the hashtag #gmp24 to see the activity unfold.
Three Twitter users with very similar names to football stars have come together to talk about the abuse they receive online.Read the full story ›
Salford police send out a tweet asking who has drugs and hasn't been caught - and get hundreds of responsesRead the full story ›
Stan Collymore is the latest public figure to be targeted with abuse and threats by Twitter users.
The former Liverpool footballer has reacted angrily demanding the social network site takes action against offensive posts.
Elaine Willcox reports.
The former Liverpool footballer Stan Collymore has attacked Twitter after being the target of racist tweets.
He says it's time for the social network to take action claiming children as young as 10 are now posting offensive messages.
Manchester United manager David Moyes has called on fans of both clubs to behave ahead of Sunday's encounter with old rivals Liverpool.Read the full story ›
Liverpool have apologised for any offence caused by a message posted on their official Twitter account which appeared to mock the Munich air disaster.
The club had asked on Twitter for suggestions of a three-song playlist to go out over the speaker system at Anfield just prior to kick-off in Sunday's Barclays Premier League match there between the Merseysiders and bitter rivals Manchester United.
One response read: "Come fly with me - Frank Sinatra. Always look on the bright side of life - Eric Idle. I like to move it - Reel to Real" - three songs associated with making fun of the 1958 tragedy in Munich which claimed the lives of 23 people, including eight United players.
Liverpool replied with: "Have you been sneaking a look at the dressing room iPod?"
An apology was subsequently issued, with a club spokesperson saying: "Liverpool Football Club responded quickly to correct the error of judgement that was made last night on its official Twitter account in responding to a distasteful and inappropriate Tweet.
"The club took decisive action and the comment was deleted swiftly.
"We apologise, unreservedly, for any offence that was caused by this mistake."