Live updates

Two more arrests in Ellen Higgingbottom murder probe

A man and a woman have been arrested in connection with the murder of a teenager in Wigan.

Ellen Higgingbottom, 18, was found with multiple wounds to the neck in the Orrell Water Park area on June 17th.

Ellen Higgingbottom Credit: ITV Granada

A man and a woman, both aged 30, are being questioned on suspicion of assisting an offender.

“As of this evening, we have two further people in custody and, although we are making quick progress with our investigation, we still need people with information to get in touch with us.

“My thanks again goes to those who have already come forward with information and to those who continue to support us and Ellen’s loved ones as we carry out our enquiries.”

– Detective Superintendent Howard Millington
  • Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 9908, alternatively call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Second arrest made in investigation into death of Ellen Higginbottom

Ellen Higginbottom

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a young woman's body in a park in Wigan.

18 year- old Ellen Higginbottom had been reported missing when she didn't come home from college on Friday. Detectives say she died from multiple neck wounds.

Police say a 51 year old was arrested in Preston. A 47 year old man remains in custody.

Detective Superintendent Howard Millington from GMP’s Major Incident Team said: “It is unimaginable what Ellen’s family and friends must be going through right now, and my thoughts continue to be with them throughout all of this.

“Last night we made a second arrest after our investigation identified an address in Preston.

"Today we will search the address and whilst the man is in custody for questioning.

“I wish to again thank the public for their help in this investigation. Their support and the information we have been given has been vital in this investigation.

“Whilst we have now made two arrests, our investigation continues as we piece together the puzzle to find out what exactly happened to Ellen on Friday, and give her family the answers they deserve.”

Advertisement

Update on Wigan police search

Bomb squad called to Wigan address again Credit: Manchester Evening News

A bomb disposal team has been deployed in Wigan for the second time as police search a property linked to the Manchester attack.

Springfield Street was evacuated last Thursday after the discovery of "potentially suspicious items".

On Tuesday, a Royal Logistic Corps bomb disposal unit returned to the road.

Residents said they were evacuated from their homes for about an hour before the police cordon was lifted at about 5pm.

Greater Manchester Police had asked people to avoid the area.

Officers have been at the address since Wednesday evening, following the arrest of a man who was said by witnesses to be carrying a suspicious package.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said police had been searching the flat, inside a terraced house, since last week.

The man said he had been at home about 4pm on Tuesday when police told him to get out of his house.

They've been here all through the weekend.

At the beginning they were taking bin bags of stuff out but in the last few days we've just seen forensics officers in white suits going in and out.

They moved us down to the bottom of the road and then we saw the bomb squad come flying in.

– Neighbour

Residents were taken to a nearby church while the bomb disposal unit was at the scene.

Load more updates