This week Manchester Airport is taking part in the first ever UK Airports Safety Week.
Each day Manchester Airport has to carry out a number of Runway inspections - these are usually done by our airfield operations team in a vehicle.
Today, whilst Runway Two is shut for a couple of hours between 9.30 and 11am, up to 80 staff will walk the length of runway and check for any debris that shouldn't be there.
The parents of Bobby Colleran have just launched a powerful new book - it features a Superhero by the name of SuperBob who helps save children from danger.
Bobby died two years ago after he was hit by a van in Liverpool.
Thousands of people have since signed apetition calling for speed bumps on Leyfield Road in West Derby.
Jude Lennon wrote the book with the help of Bobby's family. It was unveiled at Blackmoor Park Infant School, where Bobby was a pupil.
Ann O'Connor was there.
- All details of where to buy the book and information on the Slow down for Bobby campaign, along with petitions and road safety information can be found below.
- To sign the petition to have speed bumps introduced on Leyfield Road visit: Leyfield Road petition
- If you would like to buy a copy of the book, SUPERBOB, you can pay £5 plus £2 postage and package through PayPal to the email address: -firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Bobby Colleran Trust Fund is a registered charity and can be found here: The Bobby Colleran Trust Fund
- The family have set up a Facebook page which can be found here: Slow down for Bobby
- There is also a fundraising page that has been set up to pay for a memorial bench and raise money to educate children on road safety which can be found here: Slow down for Bobby fundraiser
- For information about road safety as a driver visit: Think!
- For information on road safety as the parent and/or guardian of young people visit: Think!
- For information about road safety for young children visit: Think!
A Southport woman has died after after falling from a scooter in Blackpool on Sunday afternoon.Read the full story ›
Services at a stand on Virgin Trains West Coast between Stockport and Macclesfield due to person hit by a train.
Services are liable to be delays. Trains are expected to run normally at 11:30.
Reports of queueing traffic due to accident, now on the hard shoulder on M62 Eastbound between J18 M60 / M66 (Simister Island) and J19 A6046 (Heywood), congestion on M60 to J16 A666 (Pendlebury). In the roadworks area. Lane one (of three) was initially blocked after the car and lorry collided, but reopened around 11:35. On the route from Bolton towards Rochdale.
A flight was forced to circle around Manchester Airport for 90 minutes because of a technical fault on Wednesday.
Jet2 flight LS819 left Manchester for Rhodes at 10.26am and was due to land at the Greek island for 4.35pm.
But the aircraft reportedly experienced an issue with the landing gear and was placed in a holding pattern at 8,000ft.
The Boeing 757-200 continued to circle the airport for an hour and a half burning fuel until it was light enough to land.
It eventually made it to the runway just before 12.25pm after landing safely.
Our Jet2.com flight LS875 from Manchester to Faro has been diverted back to base as a precautionary measure.
The aircraft landed safely, without incident, and passengers will be transferred onto a replacement aircraft. We would like to apologise to our customers for this delay.
Replacement buses in place on Merseyrail services due to electrical supply problems around the Wirral Loop Line between Hamilton Square and Liverpool James Street.
Buses are running between:
- Birkenhead Central and Liverpool Central
- Birkenhead North and Liverpool Central
- M60 blocked anticlockwise between junction 21 at Hollinwood and Junction 20 at Higher Blackley due to a police incident on a bridge over the carriageway.
- M60 blocked clockwise between junction 19 at Heaton Park and junction 20 at Higher Blackley .
- A664 Manchester New Road both ways closed due to police incident between Mossway and A6104 Victoria Avenue.
Work begins to replace a canopy on a footbridge over the M602 in Salford today.Read the full story ›
The AA have warned of traffic jams and urged people to carry extra water in their vehicles because of the warm weather.Read the full story ›