Labour took control of Sefton Council - the first time the borough has been controlled by a single party.
It increased its number of councillors by eight and successfully defended seven of its own seats.
One of the surprise results was in Blundellsands, where Conservative group leader Cllr Paula Parry lost to Labour's Veronica Bennett.
The results in full:
- Labour: 15 seats (48%)
- Liberal Democrats: 6 seats (19%)
- Conservatives: 1 seat (17%)
- UKIP: no seats (2%)
- The Green Party: no seats (2%)
- Independent: no seats (less than 1%)
- Trades Unionists and Socialists Against the Cuts: no seats (less than 1%)
Turnout was 33%.