A drug user has died in hospital in Blackpool with confirmed anthrax infection, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) said today.
The HPA said said the person had injected drugs and that there is an ongoing outbreak of anthrax affecting drug users in a number of countries in Europe. Seven cases have been identified since June:
- Scotland - 1
- Germany - 3
- Denmark - 2
- France - 1
The source is presumed to be contaminated heroin.
The HSA said it is unclear as yet whether this case and a case in Scotland at the end of July are linked to the outbreak in Europe and will continue to monitor the situation.
More top news
The parents Alfie Evans who has been at the centre of a life-support treatment battle have lost the latest round of their legal fight.
A man who hurled acid through a car window at an aspiring model and her cousin has been jailed for 16 years.
A baby rhino is leaving his enclosure and taking his first steps in public. Jabari was born in Knowsley Safari Park in January.