The councillor in charge of licensing in Lancaster has admitted trying the liquid nitrogen cocktail that nearly killed 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon.
Paul Aitchison, chairman of Lancaster City Council's Licensing Committee, was at the same bar a few months ago and tried the Nitro Jagermeister drink.
"I heard about this story this morning and I was quite shocked because I have actually tried it myself. It was quite scary to think that it could have possibly happened to me.
"I thought it sounded interesting, that's probably one of the draws. You assume the drinks served in licensed premises will be safe.
"I didn't have an adverse reaction to it. Unfortunately Gaby has and my heart goes out to her and I hope that she gets better."
More top news
Ed Miliband is to outline Labour's "10-year plan" for the NHS after warning it faces "its most perilous moment in a generation".
With more marginal seats than anywhere else, the North West is key to election victory. Daniel Hewitt looks at where it will be won & lost.
After earning a draw against Manchester United in the FA Cup, club chairman Dave Doggett says the money made will be spent on facilities.