Pubs and restaurants are being warned not to sell liquid nitrogen after an 18-year-old girl almost died.
Gaby Scanlon from Heysham is seriously ill in hospital after surgery to remove her stomach. She had drunk a liquid nitrogen cocktail at a bar in Lancaster.
Prof John Ashton, a public health expert based in Cumbria, warned of the dangers of drinking the super-chilled cocktails.
He said: "It's extremely dangerous. You've got alcohol, which in itself is dangerous, we've got liquid nitrogen which is a dangerous chemical.
"People should not be fooling around with these sorts of things."
More top news
Mist and freezing fog may be stubborn to clear from Lancashire on Monday morning, but with good sunshine away from the fog - frosty
The end of 2014 looks like being cold and frosty with some freezing fog. Sunday night may also be the coldest night of the calendar year!
Freezing fog, frost and icy stretches are forecast for parts of the Granada region - here's how to navigate the roads safely