Contempt proceedings are to be brought against a number of people who posted photos claiming to show James Bulger's killers Jon Venables or Robert Thompson on the internet, the Attorney General said today.
Venables was 10 when he and classmate Thompson abducted and murdered two-year-old James in Liverpool in February 1993. Images recently appeared on the social network site Twitter claiming to show an adult Venables, who was released from jail on licence with a new identity in 2001.
The Attorney General said court papers will be served shortly to bring contempt proceedings against those who posted the pictures, which have since been taken down.
More top news
Cold overnight with frost and ice risk. Sunshine and showers Friday
Violence flared on the streets of Liverpool on Wednesday night as dozens of men clashed in a brawl that saw chairs and missiles thrown.
Convicted killer Venables has been returned to prison after he was caught with child abuse images for a second time and arrested last week.