Emergency crews evacuated homes in Runcorn's Windmill Hill overnight, after a fire and suspected gas leak.
Firefighters were called out just after 2am. Police officers and gas officials then cleared the area.
No-one was injured. People have now been allowed back into the area.
More top news
Investigation after 12 boys were taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after falling ill during a scuba diving class.
The hunt for a blind WWII veteran's medals has intensified after Crimestoppers offered £5,000 for information which leads to their return.
Trafford Housing Trust has confirmed cladding on its tower blocks has failed fire safety tests.