A mother and son had to flee their home after being targeted in an arson attack in Salford.
It happened at the 52-year-old woman’s home on Blantyre Street in Winton, at about 2.10 this morning.
The woman and her 17-year-old son managed to escape unharmed and called emergency services. Firefighters attended and extinguished the blaze, which has caused significant damage to the back of her home, including the kitchen and living room.
Initial enquiries have established that it is believed wheelie bins, had been moved and pushed directly in front of the downstairs window at the back of the house and set alight.
Police are now appealing to anyone with information to come forward and have launched a joint investigation with the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
Detective Sergeant Joe Clarke from Salford division, said: "Luckily this woman and her son were able to escape before the fire took hold and managed to call emergency services.
“If they had not been disturbed this fire could have had fatal consequences, we have seen in the past the tragedy caused by wheelie bin fires - people have lost their lives and families devastated - so it is absolutely vital we find the offenders.
"We do not know why this home was targeted but clearly we need to find the person or persons responsible so we can help the victims make sense of what has happened."I would appeal to anyone who has information about what happened to come forward."
More top news
Less cold and windy. A mainly dry start to the day but cloud building and patchy rain moving in.
Gales and showers slowly easing. A little quieter for Wednesday - less cold, less windy but with more cloud
Sir Alex Ferguson said it was "nonsense" to suggest the correct processes were not followed prior to the appointment of David Moyes.