Rochdale Council has announced a formal investigation into their decision making in relation to sexual abuse at Knowl View.
They instructed new QC, Neil Garnham to carry out the review alongside Greater Manchester Police.
They said considerable progress had been made in terms of identifying potential witnesses and expect there will be a report by the end of July 2014.
The council said an independent review of all information available to the council suggests that between 1961 and 1995 sexual abuse of children took place at premises owned by the council.
The review aims to find out whether there was a pattern of abuse and whether the abuse of children was tolerated, facilitated or promoted by the council and if there was a culture which inhibited the prevention of abuse.
More top news
Greater Manchester Police has issued CCTV images of Salman Abedi in the hours before he staged a bomb attack in Manchester
Runners and spectators were out with a message of defiance and solidarity in Manchester city centre on Sunday for the Great Manchester Run
Heavy and thundery downpours possible overnight and Monday. Feeling humid again. Kerrie has the latest.......